Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-aw018aw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, I am having problems upgrade to a SSD for this laptop. First when I installed the SSD (crucial bx500 240GB) the windows installer said cannot install to this disk. I tried every possible way to format the disk, used diskpart to clean it, convert it etc. Still the disk was either not usable or not recognised. I then put back in the original drive only to be told it has 0MB on it! In between all this I followed instructions on the site to do a hard reset when you get the no boot device error. In the end I tried other hard drives with some again not recognised. Eventually I used one that it would recognise and reinstalled windows. Thinking I must a faulty SSD I ordered a replacement, cloned my installed drive and switched them out only again to be faced with the no bootable device error! Worth mentioning that all the HDD and SSD drives are all detectable and usable on my other computers.  I also updated BIOS along the way so am kind of at a loss to understand what's going on.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Paul245

As per the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05122652, your Notebook Model supports the following SSD Hard drives

HP cannot guarantee the functionality and performance of other Hard drives

I also suggest you disable secure boot and enable legacy boot before reinstalling the OS

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04784866

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your suggestions, had already looked at the manual but sadly this motherboard doesn't have an m.2 slot anywhere on it for ssd contrary to the manual. I have found some info with suggestion of using a dedicated bracket in the hdd bay to fit a m.2 ssd but that is just ridiculous extra expense and hassle. 

I have tried it with every configuration possible allowed by the limited bios including disabling secure boot and enabling legacy boot options. Nothing works for this computer to recognise the ssd. Usually on other brands bios would have an option to configure the sata controller and would resolve this issue but not an option on this bios which is the latest available version. The closest I got out of over 50 attempts was windows actually installed once but when it restarted to finish the install I got the no boot device error again. This is the first time I have ever come across a laptop that will just not take an ssd upgrade, on a machine that is only 2 years old it's ridiculous.

HP Recommended

@Paul245

Since the issue persists even after disabling Secure Boot, I suggest you contact HP Support for further assistance

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.