Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15-f387wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm a computer technician, and I cannot figure this issue out. Windows tries to boot and gives the error: Unmountable Boot Device. My first thought would be to boot using a live disc to back up data and attempt repair. When I try to boot to a disc or USB, I get the HP splash screen and the spinning dots, indicating that it's loading, then the screen goes black, and nothing happens after that point. I've tried reseating and replacing the RAM, but this helped none. I'm at a complete loss at this point, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Amorris94 

I have occasionally seen a bad hdd prevent booting from anything. This is assuming you are using Esc at power on to open the startup menu, then F9 Boot Option to select the bootable cd/usb?

You could always unhook the drive and then test booting with your bootable usb/cd. If it boots then it would pretty much rule out other problems. Maintenance and Service Guide shows how to access hdd:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f300-notebook-pc-series-touch/8961458/model/10098384/manu...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Amorris94

Welcome to HP Community

May I know where did you get the boot disc from? Are you using the HP Recovery Media?

At this point I suggest you run a Hard drive Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Hard drive

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The boot discs I've used are ISOs that I've downloaded and burned, which include Hiren Boot CD, Windows 10 Installation disc, and Ubuntu 18.04 live disc/installation disc.

HP Recommended

The HDD did fail the Short DST test, but that shouldn't interfere with the ability to boot to a disc or USB, right?

HP Recommended

@Amorris94

If the HDD test failed, then I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options and you can also order the Recovery Media from HP to reload the OS if you wish

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Amorris94 

I have occasionally seen a bad hdd prevent booting from anything. This is assuming you are using Esc at power on to open the startup menu, then F9 Boot Option to select the bootable cd/usb?

You could always unhook the drive and then test booting with your bootable usb/cd. If it boots then it would pretty much rule out other problems. Maintenance and Service Guide shows how to access hdd:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f300-notebook-pc-series-touch/8961458/model/10098384/manu...

HP Recommended

That solved my issue, though I've never seen a bad HDD affect booting to an external device across the hundreds of machines I've worked on. Could this be a problem with the UEFI firmware? 

HP Recommended

I don't really suspect a problem with the UEFI firmware although anything is possible. I have seen a bad hdd prevent booting from external source on at least a couple of machines over the years. I have even seen a bad battery cause it on several occasions. Most notable, a few years ago when my brother drove 150 miles to have me look at his laptop which he/I suspected needed a new hdd. On impulse I removed the battery and it booted right up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.