Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-u011dx x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi,
I recently had my laptop taken in for an issue, and they had to do a complete hard reset and take Windows off of my laptop. After receiving it back, I updated everything to the latest Windows update so everything is up to date. I think I had this problem before I went to get it taken in, but I fixed it and I don't remember how I fixed it. The only way to get my screen to turn on is to completely shut it down and turn it all the way back on. If I close the lid while it is on and I open it again, the screen won't turn on after that either. Right now to prevent my laptop from falling asleep if I walk away, I had to turn off Sleep and turn off Screen Turns off After. Using the power button to forcefully put it into sleep mode will not work either, it just stays on.
I've already checked for Windows updates and I've already tried Power troubleshooting and there was nothing for both. I've also went into device manager under Human Interface Devices and checked to make sure that all were allowed to wake the PC.
Specs are:
Intel Core i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
8.00GB Ram
64-Bit OS
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Windows Version:
Windows 10 Home
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.309

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Driver version: 20.19.15.4835
22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@kirapinkify

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the sleep mode. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:  

Did you try any troubleshooting steps before contacting us?How long are you facing this issue? 

For now please try these steps: 

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows 

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly. 

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode: 

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager. 

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard. 

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step. 

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available. 

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps. 

3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) 

For more steps, please Click here 

This should do the trick for you.Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂  

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did troubleshooting when I noticed the problem, and it came up with nothing.

I went into device manager, and it was already checked for the keyboard to wake the computer up from sleep. 

This problem starts happening about an hour after completely doing a hard reset on my computer, and persists until now.

I updated the BIOS to see if that was the problem, but the problem still happens.

If it is any help, I also noticed that I cannot put the PC in sleep mode by pressing the power button once, which normally puts the PC into sleep mode.

HP Recommended
You may have to reinstall your display driver. Go to hp support page for your system to download the appropriate display driver and install it. That should solve the problem.
HP Recommended

I have also done this, the problem is still there.

HP Recommended

If I hit the windows key in the menu and click sleep, the laptop won't sleep but the screen will just turn off. The power light remains constant instead of flashing when it sleeps (like usual) and I can't get the screen to turn back on. I turned off "screen turns off after" and "pc goes to sleep after" so the screen would always stay on, but I went outside to grill something for about 15-20 minutes and I came back inside and the screen had turned off regardless.

I've tried everything and I'm not too keen on taking my laptop into Best Buy for a repair asap because it just got back from being repaired and I was given a new hard drive. I'm hoping this problem will be able to be fixed here.

HP Recommended

try take out battery

HP Recommended

Did you ever solve this?  I'm having the same issue.

HP Recommended

This thread wasn't resolved. I'm also having the same issue. Tried all the steps and many others to resolve this, but nothing seems to work. Could you follow up further please? 🙂 

HP Recommended

@timomajoor  Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Screen won’t turn back on after sleep or turning on.

As you have stated that you have already performed the troubleshooting steps. The issue is not resolved.

I would suggest you contact phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.