Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab0n0nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running the latest Windows 10 version, 20H2. 

I wanted to check out Linux, so I created a bootable USB drive. I could not boot to it until I switched from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS boot menu. And this worked fine. Later rebooting and removing the USB drive with Linux on it, Windows 10 loaded normally.

However, when I checked System Info when back in Windows 10, I noticed BIOS mode is UEFI.

So my question is this -- Is my HP laptop firmware automatically switching to UEFI when there's no legacy system present? Or is the System Information showing incorrect information?

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I think I found the answer to my question.

I looks like "enable Legacy Support" just makes it possible to run legacy O/S software. If you select a UEFI enabled O/S like Windows 10, then the BIOS mode IS UEFI.

And that explains why UEFI is the BIOS mode in Windows 10 with Legacy Support enabled.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Well, I think I found the answer to my question.

I looks like "enable Legacy Support" just makes it possible to run legacy O/S software. If you select a UEFI enabled O/S like Windows 10, then the BIOS mode IS UEFI.

And that explains why UEFI is the BIOS mode in Windows 10 with Legacy Support enabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.