Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cs2535ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My HP Pavilion 15-2535ng notebook comes with an Intel 660P SSD drive (SSDPEKNW512G8H), which supports AES encryption according to the manufacturer. However, there is no option in the BIOS to set the drive password. All I can find is an administrator password and a power-on password. How can I set the drive encryption password?

Many thanks in advance,

Sophie

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sophiekums 

One approach for this would be to install BitLocker and set it to require a PIN when you boot.

But, we can not walk you through that, as we have no tutorials on using BitLocker and you would have to have to read up on this and do it yourself.  And realize, that if you make a mistake or forget the PIN, your drive will then be useless to you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply! It's not the answer I was hoping for, but maybe it is the only option. It sounds overly complicated and as far as I understand, this won't encrypt the entire drive, but only the Windows partition. I have other partitions that I want to encrypt as well and whole drive encryption - handled by the BIOS - would be the most straight-forward way. I miss the old days where this could be accomplished simply by setting a password in the BIOS. Thanks nonetheless!

HP Recommended

@sophiekums 

My understanding is that BitLocker can encrypt the entire drive -- but the only drives I have used that on have one partition.  So you may be correct about that.

There are other third-party security apps out there --perhaps one of them will do what you want.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.