Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I wanted to do a complete factory reset on this beast, tried that and it seemed to have failed three times bringing me back to the log in screen three times. Tried a fourth time and well this all happened. It gave me error code 3F0 (Boot device not found)

Tried to go into Bios already and did everything I could possibly find, it won't reinstall windows at all. When I try to go into the boot menu there is nothing there to boot either. 

I tried something I found several places to go into Bios and disable secure boot and enable legacy I think, did that three times and it just made it sit there with the underscore and a black screen during those, reset the defaults after that and it's just....I wanna pull my hair out at this point. Can't even find out where hard reset this thing anywhere everyone is just saying go to bios....well bios is doing nothing to solve the issue. Any help would def be appreciated trying to get this thing going for college!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

I suggest Secure Boot selection.

Can you create a W10 DVD/USB?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

HP Recommended

The hard reset didn't work after about 10 plus attempts. I'm trying the USB creation for Windows for a fresh install will update when it's done. Thank you for the information as well!!

HP Recommended

Okay update. The USB installation from windows did not work, didn't even give me the option to do fresh install or anything. The only thing I could do was command prompt, load from a save point (which didn't have any), turn off pc, diagnose a problem with startup which didn't find anything. Nothing is working and I'mma bout close to breaking this thing in half it's really messed up and just keeps booting to the aforementioned screen with the 3f0 error no matter what I do. I don't even think the sucker is able to properly shutdown at all. At this point I'm trying everything. I even diagnosed the harddrive and everything in F2 everything says passed....

I'm at a loss here at this point.

HP Recommended

Hi

OK the 3F0 means a hard disk problem.

This could prevent any repair attempts as the data could be corrupt on the disk.

Also it can be the BIOS is mis-configured, the install was on a GPT/Secure Boot partition and the BIOS has defaulted/reset to an MBR/Legacy Boot.

OR the boot manager and boot loader are missing/damaged/corrupted or not reachable.

W10 has the nasty habit of setting a dirty bit and making repair attempts void.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/how-to-manually-clear-or-set-dirty-bit-on-windows-volume/

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually-reset-or-clear-dirty-bit-in-windows-without-chkdsk/

Since you can make a W10 USB try making a Linx Mint USB.

https://linuxmint.com/

AND without installing you can use Gparted and lots of other good stuff.

LinuxMintGparted.jpg

It runs in RAM and is a GUI and I use it as a bootable USB and installed OS.

HP Recommended

Thank you I will try this, sorry it's been awhile with the kiddo out of school, this virus and having the flu for two weeks it's been a lot and I put the laptop on the back burner for awhile will update when I try these out though! Thank you for the ever coming help replies hopefully one of these will work!

HP Recommended

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.