Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product name:         HP Pavilion dv6-2120tx

Operating System: Windows 7

Error message from Start up test.

Memory test : Passed

SMART Check : Passed

Short DST : Failed

Failure ID : PU7QW2-50N66N-XD0021-60S603

Product ID : WF649PA#ABG

It would be greatly apprecieated if anyone could provide addtional information with regard to the above error.

Regards,

Taliesin Emrys.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The short Disk Self Test ( DST ) error would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

HP Recommended

Hi,

There is an alternative you may want to consider.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

There is a straight forward work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if the notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you don't have access to a retail disc, you can create an installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers and software you may need can be found on the notebooks support page.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

The short Disk Self Test ( DST ) error would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

G'day Dave,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The laptop is no longer under warranty but replacing the drive won't be a problem.

What may be a problem however is obtaining a copy of the recovery disks as the person who owns the laptop hasn't created any.

I'll contact HP Australia tomorrow to see if they are able to provide some.

Cheers mate.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

You can usually order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks mate I've already read up on the procurement of recovery disks.

Unfortunately the laptop is not used in a commercial context.

NOTE:HP computers designed for commercial use, such as Workstations or Pro series, use “Operating System” or “HP Restore Plus” DVDs. To order these types of discs, go to the HP Replacement Part Store .

As such I'll need to contact HP Australia directly.

Ordering recovery discs from HP in Asia and Oceania

If you cannot create a set of recovery discs, you might be able to order a set of replacement discs from HP. HP maintains an inventory of replacement recovery discs for several years after the product has been released. However, because of licensing restrictions, HP is only able to provide these recovery discs for a limited time. If the computer is several years past its warranty period, HP might not be able to supply replacement discs for your computer. If this is the case, you can install a new operating system that meets the minimum system requirements of your computer, or, alternatively, upgrade your computer hardware.

It seems however that even that option isn't a guarantee that the disks will be available.

I'll just have to wait and see what the outcome will be when I contact HP Australia.

It's not the first time I've encountered such a problem with an HP machine. End users for the most part don't seem to create their own recovery disks.
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is an alternative you may want to consider.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

There is a straight forward work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if the notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you don't have access to a retail disc, you can create an installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers and software you may need can be found on the notebooks support page.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Outstanding Dave,

I wasn't aware of the "Official ISO download service", that is just what the doctor ordered.

Thankyou once again for all your advice.

Cheers mate.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have the same result when running the start up test, but apart for that the lap top seems to work fine. The only thing weird that happens is some disturbance in the screen when starting up, especially during the first time I turn on the computer in the day.

some times after starting up it I hear the windows music but the screen is black, when that happens I usually close the screen so that the computer goes in stand-by and re-open it, and it's usually fine after that.

HP Recommended
I AM OUT OF WARRANTY PLEASE GUIDE
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.