Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 17-w151nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Before doing a clean install of Windows 10 I thought I would download the drivers for my HP Omen in case they were needed, and I noticed that there was a BIOS update listed for my model 17-w151nr from May 2019.  I read the release notes and noticed that my BIOS version (F.50) was not listed in the ones that is was replacing, and HP Support Assistant doesn't show any updates available as it stopped providing any updates a while back.  I tried searching online, but other than a few complaints from othe users I didn't see much information about this update so before I install it can anyone verify that it is the correct one for my machine?  My motherbord is 825F v. 85.73 if that helps, and I would really appreciate any help in whether to run it or not...Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@scottatl999 

The listed driver is the current BIOS for your notebook and board 825F.

OMEN by HP - 17-w151nr -HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

This (F.52 Rev.A) driver supersedes the previous "F.50" driver which has been removed by HP.  Our community cannot comment except to say that if / when a driver is deemed unsuitable (for reasons known to HP), that driver may be removed from the update / Revision History.  FYI, the previous (superseded V50) update was merely described as "improved security".

The answer to your question:

1. Yes, you may choose to install the newer BIOS.
  2. The decision to do so is yours alone.

NOTE:

In general, unless there is reason to do so (critical update or problems with the computer), it is not necessary that you update the BIOS.  Again, personal decision.

HP Support Assistant is perhaps not the best tool to use for fussy and sensitive BIOS updates.

Instead, install BIOS updates manually (Download-Save-Install).

Set HPSA to "notify" as opposed to "automatic" updates.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

How to install BIOS Updates:

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Support Assistant - Notify me

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

If BIOS is offered, set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates

Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

NOTE:

After you have set HPSA to "notify", run the program on occasion to "Check for Updates".

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

1. Run Windows Update and "other" (not BIOS) HP Software and Driver updates.
  2. If any updates are installed, Restart the computer and log in.  Restart regardless of whether you are instructed to do so - Windows still loves a Restart.
  3. Make sure you have your critical data backed up to other than the computer.  For example, back up critical and sensitive folders and files to your Cloud backup, to a USB stick, "somewhere" that you can access the data should the computer become unavailable.
  4. ALWAYS connect the notebook to AC power when updating the BIOS - leave the power connected until the BIOS update is completed and the computer has Restarted itself the last time.

===========================================================

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

OMEN by HP - 17-w151nr

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.