Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
probook 4740s
Linux

BIOS version: F.68 Rev.A

UEFI mode
booting from ssd

grub bootloader

It's very annoying, the only way to actually shutdown the computer is to force it by long pressing the power button.

It always reboots no matter what, but always shows the following splash screen:

20210204_150102.jpg

I have already tried to reset the bios to the default settings.
I didn't use to get this error before, happens with any Linux installation, and when dual booting windows, so I suspect the bios doesn't recognize grub when attempting to shut down, but it used to work fine.
I think that updating the bios may have broken it and I am unable to install the previous version for an unknown reason.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kodermank 

Sorry, but HP does not provide support for Linux -- and if you did corrupt something while installing Linux, which you suspect, we can't help you fix that -- because when you installed Linux you took over sole responsibility for maintaining your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.