04-01-2012 06:36 PM
I have a HP Pavilion dv7-4165dx Entertainment Notebook that is approx. 1.5 years old. Suddenly, m computer has started running extremely slow and it the icon spins all the time like something is loading. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try. I AM NOT techy at all. Thank you.
02-28-2013 04:43 PM - last edited on 02-22-2017 02:00 PM by OscarFuentes
Hey raine6701 and tm6789tm,
I would strongly recommend for both of you to run the Start Up Test which is a great test for the hard drive and a couple of other major components.
The symptoms you both describe are classic symptoms of a dying hard drive. Here are the steps to run the Start Up Test (taken from here):
- Turn off the computer.
- Use one of the following methods:
- Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the HP System Diagnostics program opens.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F2 .
- The System Diagnostics window allows you to run several diagnostic tests. Each test determines if the hardware is functioning properly, and displays an error message and a warranty ID if there is a hardware failure.6. Choose the Start Up Test and post the results in your reply.The SMART Check, Short DST, and Optimized DST all test the hard drive. If any of those fail, the hard drive will need to be replaced.If they all pass, you'll want to see if there are any processes running in the background using Task Manager. On Windows 7, Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up Task Manager. Click on the Processes Tab and click the Memory column to sort it in descending order. See what processes are using the most memory. Be careful ending processes. Some processes may look unfamiliar but may actually be critical system processes. If you're not sure about a process, reply and ask or Google it.Please let me know if you have any questions or if these suggestions helped (this could help other users with the same issue). I'll keep an eye out for your reply.
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)