Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my battery wouldn't charge past 70%, and then I was informed I had a "blown fuse."  It still worked plugged in, and it still charged a little bit.

Then, over the weekend, after I had powered it up from complete shutdown,  it worked for a few minutes, and then it just shut itself off.  I tried rebooting, and it wouldn't reboot.  I let it cool down(it got real hot, even when it's on top of a cooling fan,) Then I got recovery options.  It wasn't able to perform a startup repair.  So l got the recovery key, and tried a system restore.  First it told me there were no restore points.  Then it offered me some. It said it successfully restored, but it still wouldn't boot up.  This happened after the recent Windows 11 system check.  

A similar thing happened back in March, I believe.  I had to do a total reset after a Windows update.  That time the reset worked.  

The battery is an internal one, and I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for repair if I can get a good laptop under $500 (which I can.)  It will not be an HP.

I have never used this PC in the traditional "gaming" sense.  The most it was used for was Facebook games.  However, this is an expensive PC, and I think it's ridiculous that it would break after only a couple of years.  My Toshiba may be slower, but it's over five years old. I am very upset by this.  The laptop cost over $1K.  I'd greatly appreciate any help.  Otherwise I am going to buy a different non-HP laptop.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Good afternoon. You are so outraged by the quality of the company's products that you have not described anything about the breakdown to help you. Tell us what happens when you connect the charger? Does the LED light up to indicate that the charger is connected? What happens when you press the power button? Are the indicators on? Perhaps they are blinking in some order? Can you hear the fan? The more detailed you describe the problem, the easier it is to direct you to the path of its solution.

HP Recommended

System fast showed a  bad battery(40.)  The unit heats up so badly that I have to have a large fan directed at the bottom.  How can this battery not be part of the recall?  I have owned different laptops for over 11 years, and have never had this happen before.  Never. Plus, there's a burning smell.  Maybe I should contact the FTC.

HP Recommended

Where to go to you to choose. But if I were you, I would first contact the service, heating the battery is very dangerous, although they have a built-in controller to eliminate dangerous situations. Perhaps it is not the battery that heats up, but for example the charge controller due to moisture ingress and the formation of a partial short circuit in its circuits. But it is definitely better for you to go to the service to determine the cause of excessive heating, the operation of the device with the problems you have indicated has the risk of property damage. And the sooner you contact the service center, the cheaper the repair will cost.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.