Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 locked up and boots to a blue screen

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre X360 was put in hibernate mode and when I tried to restart, it went to a blue screen showing

---- **** ----

"Recovery" Your PC/Device needs to be repaired; A required decice isn't connected ; Error code 0xc000000f; 

You will need recovery tools......

Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup options

ESC for UEMI Firmware options

----- *** ----

No matter what i do, I keep getting the same screen.  

i tried hard reset by pressing the power button for over a minute.  Not sure if it got reset at all.

The screen stays for about 30 seconds and the laptop shuts down.

if i press ESC, it goes to UEMI options.  I am not sure what I am supposed to do from there.  The System Test Quick test shows Hard Drive SMART Check : Not available and Short DST check not available.   

I have had hard drive problems before but by restarting the laptop, they always went away.

if only I could restart the laptop (somehow shutdown), there is hope that the laptop will boot.

can somebody please help?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

We need to check few things to isolate the issue.

1)  Turn the computer off. unplug the charger.  You will find a volume button on the keyboard, or on the panel of the laptop.  Press the -(volume minus button) and the power cord for 15 seconds.  

Now plug in the charger and turn the computer on. Check if you get the same blue screen with the error .

2)  If the issue persists,  turn the computer off.  As you turn the computer on, immediately keep tapping on F2 key (tap-tap-tap)  .. you will get HP Diagnostic screen .. Choose the Component test and in that choose hard drive,  and then choose quick test.   

if it fails, then it is a hardware issue, we need to repair the computer .. You may call HP Support @ 1-800-474-6836

If it passes,

3) turn the computer off. This time keep tapping F11 the moment you press the power button.. 

You will find a blue screen with options like Continue, Troubleshoot, Advanced  ...etc. 

Choose Troubleshoot and in the next screen, choose help/system recovery and then follow the on screen instruction of clicking on next .. this  will reinstall the OS in your computer. 

Please remember, that reinstallation will remove everything that is there in the computer and will create new partition and recovery manager. So, at the end of recovery it will be like a brand new computer. 

Let me know the result of these troubleshooting steps. 

Thank you for choosing HP , 

Regards, 

Ashok

Ashok ... HP..always working
0 Kudos
Ajay20 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help Ashok.

unfortunately, as soon as I press the power button, i get the blue screen.  

I pressed the power and Vol- button together for 15 seconds.  Should I be seeing something happen when i press these buttons?  I believe if i can get the laptop to shut down and restart, it may work (since I had gotten the hard drive error before and rebooting, it had worked before).  Howeer, I cannot get the laptop to cold start at all.

I also read somewhere about pressign the power button for over a minute.  Tried that as well.

The quick test on hard drive says "passed" but basically it says drive not available :(

Any ideas on getting the laptop to cold boot?  Or can I boot from anothe rsource like USB stick or something?

please help.  Desparate!

Ajay

0 Kudos
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ajay,

Thank you for the reply.   if the hdd quick test has passed, then there is no problem with the hard disk  

So, now we can do the recovery in your computer. As mentioned earlier, this will completely wipe all the contents in the hard disk drive.

Turn the computer off, and as you turn it on , immediately keep tapping F11..  I think I had mentioned about this in my previous mail. 

This will give you multiple options. Choose troubleshoot ->recovery manager->system recovery.

This is a long process, would take about 1 hour or more.  Please reply after the recovery is completed. 

Thank you for choosing HP.

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos
Ajay20 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response and your help.  Over the weekend, took it to an HP service center, they created a case, opened the laptop up and claim that the hard drive is not detected.  (So the quick test says PASS even when there is nothing connected to the port :().  Now I have to check if I can still recover any data and then try the recovery as you sugessted.

Like I said before, the test says it passed but also said hard drive was not detected (I prefer if it had said the test failed because sounds like the test indeed failed!)

Here is the frustration:  I bought a premium product from HP.  The warranty expired 15 days ago and the hard drive crashes.  How can an SSD in a premium product crash whereas it is supposed to last for ages (that's why we purchase an expensive part)? 

Let's see if HP honors the warranty even though it expired only 15 days ago.   Otherwise why bother purchasing a premium model?

0 Kudos
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply ..  Well , i dont think SSD has crashed, this has to be a software issue .. so, please try the recovery and le's know .. 

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos
Ajay20 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ashok

Thank you for your help.  Some update:

1. The HP Support service centre said the SSD is damaged and is awaiting the quote to replace it.

2. When I boot the laptop from a USB stick, it recongnizes the SDD including all the folders and files. 

3. I was able to copy files from the SDD to a USB drive.

4. But alas, the files appear to be damaged.  The filesize and filename is accurate.  But the actual data in the file appears to be garbage.

5. I noticed that a video file with one name actually had part of the video from another file.

6. It appears that the pointers for the files are all corrupt so while the filenames and sizes are correct, 

7. While when the USB stick boots, it recognizes and reads the SDD, when I try to boot from the SDD, it says SDD not found.  As I mentioned before, the SDD quick test says the SMART and DST Not available.

Two questions:

a. Is there any way the FAT can be corrected?  Not sure what the root cause for this corruption is.  Any ideas?

b. With the SDD Not detected when booted from the laptop, can I still try the recovery (F11)?

Best regards,

Ajay

0 Kudos
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FAT - No, cannot be corrected .. 

But yes, you can surely try F11 recovery. 

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos
Ajay20 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ashok

I tried the F11 recovery but it does not work.  When I boot from a USB stick, I can access the hard drive (so the SSD is working) but seems to have bad sectors.   I ran chkdsk from the DOS prompt and was able to recover some files from the SSD.  However, the boot partition seems to be damaged and since it is hidden, I cannot recover that.

So, F11 recovery did not work.

From the HP support, it seems the option is to recover it from the recovery disk which I have to order from HP.  Is that something that can be downloaded?  I will reach Chicago next week and would really like to recover the laptop before that. 

Can I also recover it from another Win10 recovery disk I have (which will format the SSD) and later use the HP recovery to reinstall Win 10 license?

Any other way to recover this?

Ajay

0 Kudos
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The recovery disc/usb drive  would do the recovery , and for some reason that also does not work, then it has to be sent for repair 

You may contact HP support @ 1-800-4747-6836 .

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation