Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-ap0102ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there,

does anyone know how i can change the keyboard-timeout of the spectre gem cut? it's terrible anoying because in the night the keyboard is blinking all the time (backlight only for 30 seconds).

i've heard that this should be in ,,advanced bios" settings but how to unlock? There is also a Dell xps 13 2 in 1 next to me and if there is no possibility to keep the backlight on (the dell is able to) then i'll return. i don't understand why you would seta light to timeout... i need this if it's too dark. so if the lights turn off the light is completly useless because i have to search for keys again.

greetings and thanks for your help 🙂

88 REPLIES 88
HP Recommended

@Akkrish Welcome to HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help you out:

Here's the link to your user guide: Click here (Page. 11 Keyboard area)

(as shown below-highlighted in yellow)

You may toggle the backlight to use it according to your preference, the usual options are:

• On or off, 
  • On, off, or timeout within 30 seconds

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post. 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank for reply,

unfortunately this does not solve the problem. the spectre only supports:

off

on 30 sec timeout

dimmed on 30 sec timeout

for sure this could be adjusted in advanced bios. dont't understand why this is not available. other manufacturers do offer access to it and if i buy any kind of motherboard online i can even change core voltages....

HP Recommended

@Akkrish If that toggle key doesn't support the option, I'm afraid that's just designed the way it is and it can't be changed or modified via BIOS or otherwise as HP doesn't recommend or support changing core BIOS options, the same has been locked to ensure the system performances remain stable, as any changes may render it unstable.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

wow this is... i will return the spectre ASAP

System-Performance is no excusion for this. As i said every 30 $ Mainboard provide full settings...

have another idea: why don't auto-turn off screen light after 1 minute without possibility to turn that off?

HP Recommended

@Akkrish I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is my first day with my HP Spectre and I am having the exact same issue. I just spent over two grand on a laptop and I am not able to adjust my backlit keyboard to always on? Seems like a massive oversight in design. 

I will returning mine as well. 

HP Recommended

I just wanted to pass on that I am very happy with the laptop's quality, sound, screen, keyboard and everything else. It's a very well built laptop. My Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro died so I went to Best Buy and looked around for a while, and talked with the knowledgeable sales rep for about an hour before deciding on the HP Spectre 360.

However, after all is said and done this non-adjustable backlight timeout issue is a deal breaker and I'm going to return it tomorrow and get a different brand. I'm really sad that this feature isn't something that's adjustable. I did a bios update and I still don't have this elusive "advanced" setting in the bios, so I guess it's not adjustable to stay on.

It's quite annoying in a dark room to not have the keyboard stay on.

HP Recommended

Hi! @dmcentire

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Regards

A4Apollo

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Please send the same info to me, because this backlit issue is driving me crazy.

I wish I could return the laptop ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.