Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Elitebook does have it  but this is no excuse. My brother bought a **bleep**ty 400 € crap-laptop and he can even change RAM frequencys. I will not buy any hp-notebook again until i will read that this problem is solved. Last week we could choose our new notebook for work (thank good this happens every year) and i went for dell again (last year xps 2-1; returned the spectre because of backlight timeout and created this thread). Still can't belive this. I was so frustrated with this HP. Dark room e.g. intercity-trains and no chance for finding the right function key because the light turns off !!!

HP Recommended

I just installed the latest BIOS, F.32 Rev.A (released 2019-10-04), but still no keyboard light option ...

They are clearly still making changes to this BIOS, so why not including this? Is it really that difficult? Can't imagine.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I've had my Spectre 15t for a couple of months hoping I could get use to the keyboard timeout  and find it really

a pain and have been unable to get use to the keyboard lights shutting off after such a short on period. 

The upgrade in the BIOS would be so simple for HP to do and I guess they just don't trust the consumer to take this 

upon themselves to adjust. Even a setting adjustment where one does not have to go into the BIOS would work.

Come on HP get off your duffs and do SOMETHING to fix this hideous feature you bestowed upon us.  

HP Recommended

Asmita6658, Please don't respond with the same default canned message that you keep repeating. How can we get an HP developer to add this option and drop an update? It would literally take one of your developers a single day out of their week, and BAM... Problem fixed and thousands of happy customers.

Great companies listen to the people that buy their products and bend over backwards to fix common issues as quickly as possible. Your team could do a BIOS update... add this in the Windows 10 settings... set it to "always on" by default... it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. A fix of any sort is better than your entire company ignoring the issue.

Update: To me this is inexcusable. At this point, I've been following a few threads on this community and it's clear that HP couldn't care less about their customers. That being the case, I returned my new Spectre x360 to Best Buy and gave my $1600 to Lenovo for their Yoga c940. I'm glad I did because the Yoga doesn't have this problem, and I like it more in every way across the board.

To anyone that reads this, just return the Spectre and get a Yoga c930 or c940. You'll be glad you did!!

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Don't have much to add other than to say that I too would be VERY interested in a BIOS option that allows you to select "keyboard backlight always on".

As an aside, at one point in time I did manage to (accidentally) keep the keyboard backlight turned on installing Elitebook Precision touchpad drivers on to my Spectre x360 gem-cut laptop. I took screenshots of my device manager at the time, and somehow my touchpad hardware was listed as "unknown device" but the Human Interface Devices > Synaptics HID Device was installed correctly.

This all broke when Windows installed a new Synaptics driver automatically. I've spent hours trying to recreate my old setup that managed to fix keyboard backlighting but this was to no avail (I actually managed to brick the device in the process and had to reformat everything using a rescue USB at one point).

HP Recommended

A users with the same issue on another thread created a solution that works perfectly. It does require a few tweaks to the Regsitry, but I can confirm it works on my x360 15t (2019 GemCut). Not elegant, but its a fix for this annoying issue when HP seems unwilling or incapable to solve the issues themselves.  

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/adjust-keyboard-backlight-time...

HP Recommended

I too bought a  new Spectre x360 and was delighted with it... until the immensely annoying backlit keyboard went off after just 30 seconds. I returned it the same day. When will HP learn that they are losing thousands of customers because of this!

HP Recommended

A moderator removed my post. Awesome! 🤦🏼‍♂️

HP Recommended

This solution is malware.  I urge you all not to fall prey to this trap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.