Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

i thought the entire point of a lit keyboard was to keep it on so you can see the keys in the dark. every laptop i have seen with this feature has this

HP Recommended

Nope! Since you are simple students you cannot choose what you want. 

I found out something: I played something with vlc in full screen and the keyboard stayed on continusly.

HP Recommended

Just got my spectre x360 13. immediately found this thread and got frustrated, still no solution?

I not even thought about that this could be an issue with a notebook. this is so annoying..

HP Recommended

Send it back while you can, or live with it. I send mine back after 1 day (and evening).

HP Recommended

Hey Riddle_Decipher,

Please put me in contact with them as well, I have an ENVY x360 Convertible 15-dr1xxx and this backlight problem is a real dealbreaker for the pricepoint.

While reseaching the problem I came across dozens of people that complain about this problem and in more than half a year, nothing has been done about it. There should be a workaround to just have it on all the time. 

Any of your time put into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

HP Recommended

@Disco_Hydrogen I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

The setting for this is in whats called BIOS. From off state perform the following

1. Turn computer on and immediately press F10 to get to HP setup (Bios)

2 Select configuration tab

3. There should be keyboard backlit timer option. 30 seconds is default, but if you select 30 seconds you can change to never

4. select exit tab at top and save changes and exit.

Unfortunately Microsoft didn't make windows to have the function to control backlight timer

HP Recommended

I wish it were the case. I'm not sure if you've been following all the discussion in this thread. The x360 gem cut model does NOT have this option in the BIOS to all our disappointment and frustrations. It definitely should, but it doesn't. Even with the latest BIOS update released in Dec 2019, it is still not implemented.

HP Recommended

Yep, definitely not in the BIOS. Listen people... HP doesn't care. Period, end of story.

As soon as I found this issue, I had already been following two similarly painful issues on this forum with ZERO help, answers, or response from HP. I immediately returned my Spectre to Best Buy and bought a competing laptop from one of the other dominant brands. Not only does my new machine not have this issue, it's a superior product across the board.

Just return your Spectre, or sell it on a marketplace, and go get something different. If your hope is that this issue will be fixed by HP... It's simply not going to happen. Next!

HP Recommended

I opted for a Hardware Solution, I taped the Fn key down. 😀 This keeps the Lights on.

Definitely not the prettiest but does the Job. Windows is not registering anything and everything works as it should. It even goes to standby after some time.

Since you can invert the Fn key in BIOS you can still use the F1-F12 Keys (or die Function keys - you have to decide)

IMG_20200417_112614.jpg

Works for me!

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.