Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Man I was working late last night on my Elitebook and I could not see the **bleep** keys in the dark. I love a lot of things about this HP Elitebook, but the lack of light in the dark until I start typing something was a pain. I sighed and looked across the room at my Late 2013 Macbook Pro, that has all the right features, wishing it was so on this HP Elite. I wanted to buy the new HP 2019 Spectre x360 AMOLED, but if I cannot have that one feature fixed, then I will wait for the new 2020 Macbook pro 13".

Cheers

HP Recommended

Nice picture. You brought a smile on my face. 

HP Recommended

After hours and hours of digging around I finaly found a "Better Solution".

It also got postet here on the hp Forum:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/adjust-keyboard-backlight-time...

The Guy basicly wrote a Driver wich turns the Lights on.

You have to disable "Saveboot" in BIOS and add some Registry keys in order to allow installing unsigned Drivers. (explained in his readme.txt)

https://www.detack.de/_docs/media/hp_light.zip

He also provided the Source - so you can check out the code and compile it yourself.

Thanks to @Ecos_ - I can confirm that it works on my "13-aw0015ng"

Now I can finally enjoy working in the Dark 👻

---

I also found some Guys who took apart the BIOS.

Looks like HP intentionally removed that Feature?!

https://www.win-raid.com/t5305f16-REQUEST-HP-Spectre-x-df-dx-WW-UA-BIOS-ADVANCED-SETTINGS-UNLOCK-AMI...

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this keyboard back light problem? If I don't get this stupid problem fixed in the next two days, I am going to return the Spectre and buy Dell XPS 13 or a Macbook Pro.

HP Recommended

In two days the problem will still be here waiting for you. I am getting a Macintosh Book Pro next rotation around the sun. 

HP Recommended

no solution there sorry. i cant speak for the 2020 modell but the late 2019 does still have the problem. also beware of surface devices. thats the same **bleep**. dell is the only one which allows to adjust that behavior

HP Recommended

The late 2019 Spectre X360 Gemcut, still has thes same issue. Last time I checked at BB in February 2020. I had no idea that the Surface lineup has the same issue. I was looking at Surface Book 3, but I will pass if that issue is there. 

HP Recommended

@Feroze895 The Solution from ECos_  with the custom Driver works very well and is easy to configure.

Have been using it since i posted it and hadn't had any Problems with it.

Keyboard Backlight is always on - but you could also change the Brightness or turn it off.

If the Instructions are unclear I could also post a "Step by Step Guide" on how to do it.

HP Recommended

@Murphy9904 I would love a step by step for the technologically challenged! This feature (or lack thereof) is such a pain in the A for me but I don't feel confident to figure out how to change it without help.

HP Recommended

Okay here you go:

Things you need to do:

1. Disable Secure Boot in Bios

Secure Boot helps to make sure that your PC boots using only firmware that is trusted by the manufacturer. Since the driver is "homemade" we have to disable this.
    >>Shutdown your PC
    >>Press F10 repeatedly until Bios is showing
    >>Use Arrow keys to navigate to Boot Options > Secure boot
    >>Set Secure Boot to Disabled
    >>Navigate to "Exit" and then "Exit and Save Changes"

ImageBIOS.jpg
  2. Enable DeveloperTestMode for Drivers

This will allow us to install drivers which are not Signed by Microsoft.
    >>run regedit (seach for regedit in Windows Search)
    >>Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CI\Policy
    >>Add Following Values to the Folder "Policy"
    BootUpgradedSystem = 0
    UpgradedSystem = 0
    WhqlDeveloperTestMode = 1
    WhqlSettings = e0000001
    (You can add Keys with rightclick>New  - make shure you select the correct Type - as shown in the Screenshot)
    Regedit1.PNG

3. Disable the Synaptics touchpad feature that turns the backlight on when one touches the pad. This is needed as without this change using the pad will reset the backlight to the usual timout when touched.
    >>In the Registry Editor navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SynTP\Parameters
    >>Find the Name KBCNotifyConfig  and Set it to 0
    (You can do that with Rightclick >> Modify)
    Regedit2.PNG
  4. Reboot your PC
  5. Download https://www.detack.de/_docs/media/hp_light.zip and unzip folder to a Location on your PC. For Example "C:\hp_light"
  6. Create a .bat File with following content:

@echo off
    sc create KBCDrv type=kernel binpath="C:\hp_light\KBCDrv.sys"
    sc start KBCDrv
    sc stop KBCDrv
    sc delete KBCDrv

(Make sure you change the binpath to your Location)
    Bat.PNG
  7. Try to start your Batchfile file - the Backlight should now stay on forever. *But you have to start the Batchfile again after restart.
  8. If everything is working and you want to start your Batch file automaticly you have to create a Sheduled Task
    >>Start Task Sheduler (Search in Windows Search)
    >>Action > Create new Task
    >>A new Window should appear
    >>Goto Actions > New > Enter the Path of your BatFile > OK
    SheduledTask1.PNG

>>Then go to Triggers and Add two triggers:
    On workstation unlock
    At log on
    SheduledTask2.PNG
    >> And you re done 🙂
  9. Wait for the Night and enjoy your Illuminated Keyboard

Hope this helps

Murphy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.