Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This HP x360 is 2 years old and no longer powers on. It started with a low battery. I let it die and planned for recharge a few hours. When I tried to charge, no charge, and never came on again... no light. I bought a new adapter - no charge. I took it to my local repair shop and they said “it looks clean, but something is wrong with the motherboard but we can’t seem to fix it here. Also we can’t recover your info because it’s a SSD”. What does that mean? Is my data lost? So I really have 2 issues - I need my data from the SSD and I need my computer working! HP, I really need your help here. I’m extremely upset and anxious that I’ve lost everything!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the exact model number of your Spectre. Here is how to find it.

Model number

Now if the motherboard failed, you should be able to recover your data without any problem. If it has an M2 PCIe NVMe SSD in the machine, maybe the center you brought it to did not have an adapter to attach the SSD to a different PC. Anyway, let me know the model or product number so I know what kind of machine and storage we are looking at.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hi, my Model number is 13-ac092ms.

HP Recommended

Hi, my Model number is 13-ac092ms

HP Recommended

Hi,

You will need to remove the drive:

On page 29 of service manual, you can see the steps to remove the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357578

You can then use an M2 PCIe NVMe to USB adapter to use the drive as an external drive on a different computer.

Ex:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pcie+nvme+to+usb&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Open the drive folder and go to Users folder, double=click on your User Name folder and wait while it changes the security settings. It can take a couple of minutes to open the folder. Once opened you will see the Desktop, Download, Pictures .... folders you had on old PC.

If you are buying a new PC you could get one without a PCIe drive (however with a PCIe slot) and install the drive in the new PC.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

[Solution] To close the loop on this, I wanted to share how I fixed the issue. 

I still wasn't sure about the motherboard diagnostic. So, I opened the laptop (undoing all 8 screws including 2 under the caps), and started looking around. 

I dusted the interior to get rid of the dust then disconnected the battery connector. Then I held down the power button for 20 seconds to drain any remaining battery. Then, I reconnected the battery, plugged in the charger and let it charge overnight. This time the powerlight came back on and I'm currently on the working computer. 

Next, I downloaded any updates and downloaded the BIOS driver from the HP website. So far, so good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.