Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Stream 11 Pro TPN-Q154
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The notebook took a slight bump hitting the floor and the screen immediately went black. Backlight intact but nothing on the display.

On boot, backlight comes on, then the brief period where backlight goes off (normal boot procedure), but just a blank backlit screen after that.

Tried a hard reset, no change.

Connected external output HDMI to my LCD, no video output.

I just tried recovering the BIOS using the key press combination. After it powered on, he screen stayed blank but the backlight did not come on. The light on the caps lock button blinked on and off every couple seconds; it did this for about 20 minutes straight, and nothing else, until I powered it off.

I tried powering it on again but got the same thing I was getting before: Blank screen with a backlight on.

I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Is there a sequence to the blinking lights?

A set number of blinks and then a pause before repeating?

First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.

AND/OR - Power on your PC, press Esc (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

AND/OR - Windows Logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B

AND/OR - If you’re using multiple displays, try projecting video to a different monitor.
Press the Windows Logo key + P, select a display, and then press Enter.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

@ted_roxx

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Notebooks are designed to be light and portable -- at the expense of ruggedness and survivability. Dropping a notebook can result in numerous internal failures that you don't see: motherboard cracks, chip damage, connector damage, hard disk damage, screen backlight damage -- NONE of which is easy or cheap to repair.

While you already connected an external display, all that does is confirm the motherboard video chip is not working properly, and recovering the BIOS is not going to accomplish anything if the hard drive and/or motherboard are damaged.

Without extensive diagnostics, there is no simple way to know if the laptop is "OK". It may power up, but there may easily be different problems, as listed above.

You can TRY running the built-in laptop diagnostics by pressing F2 repeatedly while rebooting and selecting the diagnostics. IF those all pass, there might still be minor damage that those do not detect.

The problem is that we HERE, have no way of diagnosing or repairing hardware problems.

If your PC is still under the original one-year HP warranty, or if you have purchased an extended warranty from HP and this is still valid, then you should contact HP Customer Support to see about having it repaired or replaced under warranty.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!
If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

If your PC is no longer under warranty, you will have to contact an HP Repair or Service Center to see if they can examine the PC to determine the cause(s) of the problems, if it can be repaired, and an estimate of the repair costs.

If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood I forgot to mention that I took the top off the notebook and looked for cracks in the motherboard, or any loose connections, but everything seems totally fine. My next step was to disconnect the "monitor" section of the notebook, open it up and examine it, but I thought I would post here before going ahead with that

Here is what I have discerned, after taking the top off it and looking at the board, and how it is functioning:

It is booting up, it is just not displaying video.

Which leads me to believe the board is fine and the drive is fine, or at least the board is fine other than perhaps the GPU part of it.

The reason why I say this is because - speaking as if the notebook was in regular working condition - after you boot into windows, if you just tap the power button normally, like you would to start the notebook, it does not respond. After you are in Windows, you have to hold down the power button to power the notebook off.

If I start it up as it is now, not seeing anything on the screen, but if I tap the power button within the first ~20 seconds, it will quickly power down.

If I wait longer than that (i.e. long enough for it to boot into Windows and show the welcome login screen) if I tap the power button at that point it does not respond. I have to hold the power button down before it will power off.

So this has something to do with the display, I just need to figure out where

Thank you for your assistance and Happy Holidays!

HP Recommended

HI there @Lil_Boy_Blue

the light on the caps lock is approximately 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, repeateded over and over

Like I said in the original post it kept on blinking like that for 20 minutes or so, not doing anything else, so I powered the notebook off

I've tried all of your suggestions to no avail, unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Caps/Num Lock LED

Component.

Error condition

Corrective action

LED blinks once.

CPU

CPU not functional

1. Re-seat the processor. NB:- See the Services Media Library for steps for your PC.

2. Replace the processor. NB:- See the Services Media Library for steps for your PC.

3. If the CPU still does not function properly, replace the Main-Board.

LED blinks twice.

BIOS

BIOS corruption failure.

Reset the CMOS:

1 Restore BIOS if available. (If you can access the CMOS battery, pull it out and re-seat it.)

NB:- See the Services Media Library for steps for your PC.
2 Press the Windows + B keys to do a BIOS recovery.
If the error persists, replace the Main-Board.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located?

I have the keyboard / top off the Stream but don't see the CMOS battery

The Service Manual doesn't show the location

HP Recommended

Hi

The SKU: would pinpoint the model more precisely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.