Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 i7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good day, HP Community.

Last month, our HP Pavilion dv6 i7 laptop had an issue. While I was using it, the screen began to flicker on 3d applications like google chrome, steam, and steam games before it shut down by itself. this went on for half an hour before it finally gave a BSOD.

After the BSOD,  the laptop would be stuck on the 'starting windows' splash screen. i used safe mode and backed up my files before I made a factory reset on my laptop.

the thing is, it still wouldn't let me past the starting windows splash screen. i changed the seagate HDD with a brand new one, and reinstalled the OS using the recovery disks, but after restarting several times (restarting during the installation is normal, not loading isn't), it still doesn't go.

When i tried to use safe mode, it would be stuck at the classpnp.sys file before it would restart by itself and loop the whole thing.

I would greatly appreciate any answers that will solve this, i have been looking forward to sending this to my local hp service center as a last resort, solutions from the community would help greatly and mean a lot to me.

thank you,

-judie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JudieSteamed

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

To me this sounds like software issues with the Windows recovery. Were you able to complete the WIndows (HP) Recovery process. Were you able to boot to WIndows Desktop at least once after the recovery process ?

While in BIOS (F10) , can you try to reset your BIOS settings to default ?

With HDD inserted in, can you try to perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. 

Looking forward to your reply/clarifications.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JudieSteamed

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

To me this sounds like software issues with the Windows recovery. Were you able to complete the WIndows (HP) Recovery process. Were you able to boot to WIndows Desktop at least once after the recovery process ?

While in BIOS (F10) , can you try to reset your BIOS settings to default ?

With HDD inserted in, can you try to perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. 

Looking forward to your reply/clarifications.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi @IT_WinSec ,

I couldn't get to the desktop through normal means, though there was this instance during the factory reset where it was installing the HP software (by booting up by last known configuration), and I found out I could exit to the desktop, but only for a brief while by pressing the WinKey. The HP installation software process didn't complete, as it would be stuck at the very end, repeating the loop.

Also, I'll try my best to get the BIOS data A.S.A.P.

Thanks for the assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi @IT_WinSec

I just found out that after installing the AMD graphics drivers (i had to install them manually after using another copy of windows 7), it would always be stuck on the boot screen, which leads me to believe that it's the AMD drivers that caused the boot screen to freeze.

I will be making another thread for this soon.

Thank you for your help and replies.

-Judie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.