cancel
Chalsea Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stuck in automatic repair then black screen

So my laptop was working earlier today but has been slow then froze and when I tried to restart it it got stuck in the auto repair screen then it said it was checking the issues of my computer and said I could either restart it or choose advanced options and I restarted it. Now it goes straight to a black screen I have his f11 and it says please wait then it goes back to the black screen and I can hear clicking in the computer when it tries to run. What do I do? I have so many pictures and certificates that I haven't put on disk or usb.
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chalsea,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. What is your precise model of HP notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number? What operating system are you running? 

I grasp that while using your notebook it froze. When you tried to restart the notebook you got a repair screen with "checking the issues on the computer" with a prompt to either restart or choose advanced options. You selected restart, but on startup, you got a black blank screen and you hear a clicking noise in the computer. 

I would test the hard drive for issues to rule that out as a possible cause. Here are two links, please choose the one that corresponds to your operating system.

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know the results.

To express appreciation for my post please click the “Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Chalsea Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tested it and each time I do a short test everything passes. When I do the long test it says my hard drive short cts fails.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chalsea,

What operating system are you running? What is the product number of the notebook?

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Chalsea Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F3F15UA#ABA and I had windows 10 on it
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chalsea

Thank you for your the requested information. I understand that when you ran the short DTS test, it passed, but when you ran the extensive test,  it came back that it failed the short DTS. Whenever a hard drive test fails, it means that there is a problem with the drive and will need to be replaced. Because it passed the short DTS the first time but failed it when you ran the extensive, I would rerun the tests. If the clicking noise is coming from the drive that is also an indication that it is failing.  Please contact HP for  your service options.  Contact HP Support Fill out the online form and follow the prompts. Should you no longer be under warranty, you could check a local repair shop for options, or consider replacing the drive yourself. If you are considering doing the replacement yourself, here is a link to the HP Pavilion10 TouchSmart Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 14, item 6,  for the recommended replacement.  If you do not have recovery media, you will need to contact HP to obtain a recovery kit.  Here is a link to HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10) A recovery will take you back to factory settings. When I checked the specifications for your model, I noted it came with Windows 8.1, so you would have to do the upgrade again to Windows 10.  Or you could use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to do a clean install of Windows 10. Download Windows 10. You could then download and install the  HP Support Assistant  to aid with acquiring any HP recommended software and drivers. 

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation