Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp 2000
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had an issue with my touchpad for months now. The synaptics touchpad driver is installed but the touchpad won't work and doesn't appear in device manager either (just my external mouse). . I've tried various methods of troubleshooting but none worked. Any help would be of great deal to me. Thanks (in advance).

PROGRAMS AND FEATURES

my programs and features

DEVICE MANAGER

my device manager

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @decyferme,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you have had an issue with the touchpad for months as it is not responding. Although the driver is listed in programs and features it is not listed in Device Manager.

Have you checked for viruses and or malware?

Have you done all the Windows updates?

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant to aid with any HP updates?

First would you try this step.  Some models you can enable or disable the touchpad by double tapping the upper left corner of the touchpad.  Please see if that is applicable for you.

Next in Device Manger show hidden devices and scan for hardware changes to see if the touchpad will now be seen.

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎 that should also help.

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this yielded a fix for you, please choose solution provided to help others find it.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @decyferme,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you have had an issue with the touchpad for months as it is not responding. Although the driver is listed in programs and features it is not listed in Device Manager.

Have you checked for viruses and or malware?

Have you done all the Windows updates?

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant to aid with any HP updates?

First would you try this step.  Some models you can enable or disable the touchpad by double tapping the upper left corner of the touchpad.  Please see if that is applicable for you.

Next in Device Manger show hidden devices and scan for hardware changes to see if the touchpad will now be seen.

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎 that should also help.

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this yielded a fix for you, please choose solution provided to help others find it.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Prior to your reply i had already done all other tests you suggested, apart from the last one to show hidden devices. That was really helpful as it revealed the synaptics driver with a warning icon. In its properties, device status suggests an hardware fault or incomplete driver (which i doubt, as i have re-installed a few times) could be the issue... Also i never mentioned that some time ago the touchpad suddenly started working but again stopped responding after a few days. I would assume the touchpad is faulty. If you have any more suggestions after checking the screenshots below pls do reply. Thanks alot for the response!

Touchpad device properties

Touchpad device properties (events)

Touchpad device properties (driver details)

Touchpad device properties (details)

Thanks alot.

HP Recommended

Hi @decyferme,

Thank you for your response,

You could very well be correct that the touchpad is faulty.  You can test the touchpad using the hard ware tests.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎

If you are not in warranty, you could also check to see if the connection to the touchpad has  become loose.

Here is a link to the HP 2000 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide which does have removal and replacement procedures  to guide you.

Should you decide to replace the touchpad yourself, please note chapter 3, page 18, item 5 for the replacement part.

For your convenience I am providing you a link to the HP Parts Store.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.