Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK. So I did a reset since I was giving this laptop to another family member.  It seesmed to go fine but said all personal files could not be deleted.  So I hit okay. 

Could not get it to reboot.  I have tried a hard restart taking out the battery.  I've done systems diagnostics, and I've done BIOS. 

It finally looked like it was going to do something.  At the HP logo, it said Preparing.  Then I get an error which states -

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot prodceed.  To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation. 

Well if you click OK, it just does the same thing over and over. 

I tried calling support but I've been hung up on 4 times now after holding almost an hour.  I'm so frustrated. 

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Pavilion 17 notebook. I understand that you are unable to do the system recovery and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

HP might have shipped recovery media with your notebook.

You can use recovery media to perform system recovery on your computer.

• Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the Esc (escape) key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F9 to open Boot Device Options.
  • Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive or USB drive, and then press Enter.
  • When prompted to run Recovery Manager from the hard drive or from media, select Run program from media, and then click Next.

Click here and follow steps under System recovery using media you created in the document.

If you don’t have recovery media, contact HP Phone support and request for recovery media.

Let me if that works.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Pavilion 17 notebook. I understand that you are unable to do the system recovery and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

HP might have shipped recovery media with your notebook.

You can use recovery media to perform system recovery on your computer.

• Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the Esc (escape) key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F9 to open Boot Device Options.
  • Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive or USB drive, and then press Enter.
  • When prompted to run Recovery Manager from the hard drive or from media, select Run program from media, and then click Next.

Click here and follow steps under System recovery using media you created in the document.

If you don’t have recovery media, contact HP Phone support and request for recovery media.

Let me if that works.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Solution Accepted.  Thank you so very much.  I have ordered the Recovery disk and hopefully it goes well. 

HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Good to know that you have ordered recovery media.

Follow the link mentioned in the above post to perform system recovery with recovery media.

Feel free to contact us if you need any assistance.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Thanks.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I got the recovery disk.  However it has failed twice.  It says something about windows tried to reboot during the process or something like that. 

So what do I do now?

HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Thanks for the reply.

I good job on trying to perform system recovery with the recovery media.

And I understand you are getting some error.

Please provide me the correct error message, so that I can provide you the accurate solution.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Error1.JPGError2.JPG

HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Thanks for the reply.

I am unable to see the image which you have posted.

Please explain in brief about the error message so that I can understand and provide you the accurate solution.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It says the recovery attempt has failed. 

This might be unexpected reboot during Windows setup.  The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal now....

Then I tried again and got

There is a bad line in install.log file

Badline

Run script.exe c:\System.sav\ExitPrc\ErorChk\Badline.vbs

FAILED: Data corruption

Result-Failed

Some error detected

PASS2_FUpdate_END PIN_ERROR_MSG ChkError.cmd found 1 SW issue

I just received the recovery disc from HP yesterday on a USB.  But this is a mess.

HP Recommended

@ronkar73

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Please run diagnostics on the computer to the hardware functionality.

Click here and follow the document.

Let me know the outcome.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.