Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Sleekbook 14-b180la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 version: Home, Single language, 1903, compilation 18.362

Hi there

im having a hard time trying to follow this guide (english version: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629 | spanish version: https://support.hp.com/cl-es/document/c00374652) to know if my BIOS is up to date.

First i've tried to update (or check available updates of) the BIOS automatically using device manager.

the problem here was that the category "Firmware" doesn't show up in the devices list, let alone "system firmware"

i've checked the option "show hidden devices" and still didn't have any luck, i've looked it carefully as my (and the laptop) native language is spanish but also on spanish it must show the option "firmware del sistema" and here just doesn't seem to appear.

problema bios 1.png

Dismissing that optioni went to HP Support Assistant, and, as the guide said i looked up to "my devices > updates > check for updates and messages" and wait for a BIOS update available (if there is one)

well there is no "my devices/mis dispositivos tab", instead this appears

hpsup1.png

when clicking "mi equipo" tab, it just shows system specs, user guides, warranty info, a list of HP software, MS Windows software, user software and controllers installed, every tab in which no BIOS allusion is made, and a diagnose tools tab.

pics of hp software and controllers installed below.

hpsup2.png

hpsup3.png

in the updates and settings tab it just shows "hp updates, hp messages, settings (only regarding restore points, tray, temp files on internet explorer and temp folder), actions and windows updates"

hpsup5.png

on the hp updates tab, it just shows "no updates available so far"

hpsup4.png

so again, no luck with this method either.

so currently im trying to execute the third method (manually updating the BIOS from windows), but again theres problems.

In step 1, gathering system info, the fn+esc command showed by the guide didn't work, but i've managed get it by other ways, and write down the info required, it shows as follows:

• Product name: HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14
  • Product number:  E2B62LA#AKH
  • Motherboard ID: 18FA
  • BIOS: Insyde  F.1B, 13-08-2013
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) I3-3227U CPU @ 1.90 GHz

In step 2, prepare the laptop for the BIOS update, first it asks for deactivate my antivirus protection (which i did) and windows defender (i did too)

but it also asks for deactivate temporarily the bitlocker drive encryption, or else when i update the BIOS i wouldn't have the recovery key and my drive could render unusable and i might loss all my data.

Now, i dont have any program called bitlocker or anything resembling that on my computer, at least using the search bar, so i don't know how to activate/deactivate/suspend it in order to have the recovery key, im afraid of losing my data.

i don't know what to do here

Now, in step 3, installing the BIOS update, it redirects me to the HP drivers download center. (https://support.hp.com/cl-es/drivers) now, entering my laptop SKU it asks for my OS and version, here i currently have Windows 10, but the option isn't available. just 8 and 8.1

win1.png

if i recall correctly, when i've received this laptop in early 2014, it had windows 8 from the factory, and later i had to updated it to windows 8.1 and then 10

now the problem here is that in the windows 8 version it shows a BIOS update available

win3.png

while in the windows 8.1 version it doesnt, 

win2.png

do i have to pick the windows 8 version? (since my laptop had windows 8 from the factory and not 8.1)

is there a problem of updating the bios while im currently on windows 10 and the bios update only shows up on the windows 8 option?

is the F.1D Rev.A (May 8, 2016) the sucessor of the F.1B (Aug 13, 2013) and is it compatible with my laptop?

what can i do about the bitlocker drive encryption situation? i just proceed ignoring it?

thank you for reading and helping in advance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.