Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HI again,

So I used the bootable USB, but I wasn't able to repair my computer. I get a message on a blue screen that says "Startup couldn't repair your PC". Is there another method I could perhaps try?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, refer to that other link for how to use the command prompt in the repair section to run repairs to the master boot record.

Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows 10 (thewindowsclub.com)

HP Recommended

Before you can do anything, you have to check whether you have a MBR or a UEFI system.

Paul's advise is just for MBR.

In UEFI it is completely different.

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I tried doing as the article showed, but when I type "bootrec /fixmbr" it says "A device which does not exist was specified". Going off of what the other person who replied to the last message said, I think I might have an UEFI system 😕

HP Recommended

Hi:

If the OS has been installed in EFI mode, see this dell document on how to make repairs.

How to repair the EFI bootloader on a GPT Hard Drive for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on your Dell perso...

You can follow the instructions from the command prompt on, since you already know how to get to that section when you boot from the W10 installation media.

If that doesn't work, you can use the installation media to reinstall W10.

To recover any files you need to save, do not delete or format any partitions.  Just let Windows install over the current Windows partition, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 has completed installing, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile, and copy and paste the files you need to save to your new user profile.

I recommend you also save them to a USB flash drive or portable hard drive for safekeeping.

HP Recommended

The DELL articel is completely nonsense! They also don't understand UEFI and copy the errors from everywhere.

Only one (1) command is valid!

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s B: /f UEFI

You have to choose the right letters. from >>diskpart<<

otherwise your data are lost!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.