Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Probook 430 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok I bought a new probook based on the ability to charge via USB type C so this is what happens in 2 out of 3 non HP chargers

Plug in usb battery icon shows plugged in and charging however when you reboot it still displays plugged in and charging even without the AC plugged in 

You then have to wait for the battery to drain complety and insert pin charger and everything works normally 

Even HP technical support seemed baffled with this they were going to RMA swap but then one of the other USB charger works perfectly

So add to my description if you remove the usb cable prior to rebooting then it behaves normally

Help please I hate mysteries

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@spec119 

You're lucky ANY non-HP charger works. 

If you read up on USB-C charging you will see that in nearly ALL cases, only the chargers provided by the laptop manufacturer will work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply I want to use a non HP charger purely for convenience I'm not opposed to buying a hp charger but these chargers still need a bulky coverleaf mains lead

I was able to charge my probook with the third party charger the only proviso is you must remove the usb cable before rebooting as this causes the notebook to think it's plugged in and you have to wait until the battery drains then plug in the supplied charger then all is good

HP Recommended

I have an HP ProBook 470 G5 which I am looking to recharge via USB Type C.

Is there any minimum software/drivers that need to be loaded, or does it work after the standard OS Install/Setup using the HP Recovery media. Can someone also confirm that any USB Charging bank will work, or is there a minimum spec.

Secondly will the laptop Battery charge  while the Laptop is in use, or must the Laptop be powered down for Charging to happen

HP Recommended

Hi I had nightmares with my HP Probook G7 both my non HP USB-C chargers would charge the device fine the only issue was a HP popup suggesting to use an official HP charger

My issue was if you rebooted whilst the non HP charger was plugged in it would be in a state where even if the charger was unplugged it would show as plugged in and I found if you wait for the battery to drain it would start working noemally so I always ensure my usb-c charger is unplugged

As regards a power bank my 45w pd powerbank would charge the HP but only if it was shutdown it would not charge if the item was switched on

Hope the above helps  

HP Recommended

Hi. I have a problem that needs help. I bought an HP laptop, the product code is HP Probook 455 G7, according to the announcement, this laptop can be charged via USB Type C 3.1 Gen 1. I have tried many 65W chargers from many different brands. such as Baseus, Anker, Ravpower, Thinkplus, Xiaomi, however, there are cases of battery error. After plugging it in for a while, the power is still in the battery, after I unplug the charger, the laptop always says it is charging even when I reset it. Then I continued charging via USB type C or AC of the company, the power did not enter the battery even though it was still charging. I have to discharge the battery to 0% or remove the battery and reinsert it then charge it via AC normally. There are many people with the above error but do not know how to fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.