Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good afternoon. I post this only after exhausting all other options that I can find.

Every laptop that I own, I build from scratch. Once it is built and updated and software installed, I snap an image of the device. This time, however, I can not get this system to install Windows 7 Pro x64.

At first, I couldn't even get it to boot to a flash drive or external CD drive. An hour later, I updated the BIOS and reset everything back to factory defaults and boom, it finally loads up Windows.

Now, I go through the setup process but every time I go to look at the drives [to format and what not], it tells me that I'm missing a required device driver. I select my language, and proceed, but get stuck at the same place.

This is where I get super confused: This model laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive available, yet it's telling me that I'm missing 'a required CD/DVD drive device driver'. What?! Ok.

I've downloaded all the drivers for the notebook, as well as used a 3rd party software to export all of them to another drive. It tells me to insert a CD/DVD [although there are none] or a flash drive to install the drivers. I've done this with both an external CD/DVD drive and with a 2nd flash drive, but still get the same message.

My experience tells me to disable the USB 3.0 and force it down to 2.0, at least until I can get the OS installed, but I can't find any options for that in the BIOS. Does ANYONE have any other ideas to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes actually I was able to get it resolved...

The CD that came with it was the key. I thought initially that's what I was using but apparently not. I work in an IT department so I have a thousand of those HP DVDs. Once I plugged in the DVD that came with the laptop it booted right up like there never was any issue at all.

I did contact HP support about this and they were about as useful as Comcast Customer Support [for those of you that know what that's like]. I was supposed to get at least a phone call from someone but never did. 

But there you go!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if this works...

I have zipped up and attached the storage controller drivers listed on your notebook's support page, below.

Extract (copy)  the files onto a usb flash drive without the folder.

With the flash drive and W7 installation media plugged into the machine, boot from the W7 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully, W7 will install.

HP Recommended

Still no dice... here's what happens.

When I boot it to the flash drive, press install now, it takes me to screen A:

ScreenA

I plug in the flash drive and hit rescan and get the same message. I click on Browse to try to locate the flash drive and get this:

image2.JPG

I CAN'T FIND IT!

This has been the most difficult computer I've ever dealt with EVER!

HP Recommended

Apparently the PC can't read a flash drive from the usb3 port when not in Windows.

Can you copy the files into one of those folders in your second screen shot?

How about if you slipstream them?

HP Recommended

I tried to slipstream it and it still fails.

I can't copy the files because the system won't read the flash drive.

HP Recommended

I am stumped on this one too.

You might have to call HP technical support and see if they can help.

Like you, I thought on PC's that only have USB3 ports, that there is an "Auto" USB setting in the BIOS someplace that allows you to set the ports on auto so they can emulate USB2 or 3 as applicable.

HP Recommended

Hello sir, just curious if you ever figured this out?  I have exhuasted all of my search options, as well.  I am super stumped and I've combed through the bios a hundred times over.

HP Recommended

Ran into the same issue. Contacted HP Support. Maybe they will have the answers. If so, I'll post.

HP Recommended

Yes actually I was able to get it resolved...

The CD that came with it was the key. I thought initially that's what I was using but apparently not. I work in an IT department so I have a thousand of those HP DVDs. Once I plugged in the DVD that came with the laptop it booted right up like there never was any issue at all.

I did contact HP support about this and they were about as useful as Comcast Customer Support [for those of you that know what that's like]. I was supposed to get at least a phone call from someone but never did. 

But there you go!

HP Recommended

Used this driver pack which contains all the 64-bit drivers and it worked when I went to load my image from SCCM 2012 r2.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73082.exe

Would have to figure out how to appy these if trying to load W7x64 Enterprise from USB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.