Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP G6-2159sf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I'm unable do access BIOS on HP G6-2159sf.

I keep taping esc key (also tried f10) and the BIOS setup does not appear. It boots straight to Win10.

In Win10 the keyboard acts funny.The numeric pad doesn't work as it should. When I press Numlock the rest of the keyboard keys gets messed up. Numbers appear as symbols. and letters are all Capital like I had caps lock on.
I checked Win10 settings for keyboard for my country (Portugal) and language (Portuguese), checked driver and nothing.
Can someone please guide me with this issues?
Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Can anyone help please?

HP Recommended

@BJesus
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you tried with an external keyboard? 

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next, uninstall "Keyboard device" from the device manager.

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Expand the entry. Right-click the Keyboard device and select Uninstall (All keyboard device listed)
  4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I did everything you said.
Also connected an external HP keyboard and both problems persist...

The hard reset didn´t work...
Any suggestions?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@BJesus

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Let's use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.
  1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes. For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Note: If its a hardware related issue with the keyboard, consider repairing or replacing the faulty part. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The left shift key does not work (or it is always pressed) . It does not show green on HP test.
Could that be the issue of not entering the BIOS?
The ESC/F10 key is working...

HP Recommended

@BJesus

Thank you for posting back,

Even if one single key is gone bad you should consider replacing the whole new keyboard as its a keyboard assembly, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If I have the keyboard removed and inspected can it be repaired?
If I by a new keyboard the price will be far greater than the actual value of laptop...

Thank for your time

HP Recommended

@BJesus
I would recommend replacing the keyboard from HP will be more effective than others. And, also HP offers on-site parts replacement service which will make the keyboard replacement process faster. Note: HP will provide warranty on parts replacement as well. 
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just a quick update on this that might help others facing the same problem.
The issue was the keyboard. The left shift key was always pressed (internally) although  it was unoticed by pressing the key.
I removed the key in question and did it like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYOiK9QP08

That black spring like piece was stuck down, that's why it was always pressing the left shift key making it impossible to access  the BIOS  and using the numeric pad.

Apparently the issue is resolved, I can acces the BIOS by pressing ESC.

Didn't have to change the keyboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.