Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
HP pav 15 - AU623tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to access advanced bios settings.

I need it to configure SATA mode for my new SSD.

Also I am unable to update my Bios. The installer says this update is blocked.

Current version is F.55 and I want to update it to F.56 which I downloaded from official hp software and driver support page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Sujoy2 

In addition to what WAWood indicated about the BIOS, your notebook's drive controller is already set to AHCI by default.

You can see that by going to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category, and you will see your notebooks SATA AHCI storage controller listed there.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sujoy2 

HP has locked out the Advanced BIOS settings -- and there is no way around that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @Sujoy2 

In addition to what WAWood indicated about the BIOS, your notebook's drive controller is already set to AHCI by default.

You can see that by going to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category, and you will see your notebooks SATA AHCI storage controller listed there.

HP Recommended

Thanks for answering!

But this is really lame. I should have control over my machine.

They should have created a backdoor for this regarding out of warranty machines.

Is there any safe and tested third party unlocker?

I have no idea if other manufacturers do the same but HP certainly won't be my choice for my next notebook.

HP Recommended

Any idea on how to update my blocked bios?

I am updating from F.55 to F.56.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would have no idea if there are any programs that exist that would allow access to any BIOS settings not currently accessible.

You will probably find that most if not all PC manufacturers of consumer class notebooks, have pretty restricted BIOS settings.

I suggest you start a new post on the BIOS update issue, because I wouldn't be able to answer that question either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.