Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 14s-fq0054nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install Windows 10 Pro on the laptop (replacing the Windows 10 Home). I used Rufus to transfer the ISO to a USB drive yet when I boot the laptop I get "Could not locate '\efi\boot\bootx64.efi': [14] Not Found".

I've disabled the secure boot function in the BIOS.

What can I do / use to write an ISO to a pen drive and boot it?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you try to clean install W10 Pro, all you will do is get W10 Home again, because the W10 Home product key in the BIOS trumps any other key you have.

Here is how to upgrade from Home to Pro when you have a W10 Pro product key...

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation .

2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.

3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

HP Recommended

Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen.

This is very inefficient in my opinion.  First of all why should I have to modify (upgrade) Win 10 Home to Pro when I could clean install it.  Is there a way this functionality can be disabled?

In my case I would be using a Microsoft Volume Licence.  I hope it works.  My experience with other products is that many preinstalled OS do not like / accept such a license. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have to clean install W10...Instead of using Rufus, see if using the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below allows you to make a bootable USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

I found this Microsoft post: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-edition-configur...

This caters for Volume Licencing situation.  If it overrides the BIOS key, it I would address my need.

Has anyone every tried this?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.