Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Model 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help isolate the issue I’m having. 
After an automatic update, laptop began to crash suddenly and frequently. Ended up using the windows recovery tool and set it to install a fresh version of windows (deleting all files). 
Laptop got to 33%, said it was finished and restarted. 
The result is just a backlit black screen that doesn’t do anything. I have a steady white light and a flashing white light but nothing progresses from there. Im unable to access anything including my bios menu. 
I’ve tried the windows key + b startup with no results, and attempting to reinstall bios with a USB key, again with no affects to the blank black screen. 
After speaking with HP software support, they suggested it was a hardware issue. 
As the laptop is over a year old, the warranty has expired, but I’m trying to figure out what to replace. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you are not able to boot through a Bootable USB drive. Try troubleshoot black screen firstly:

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c03518095

You need to find another monitor to connect your computer to. If the screen is blank on the second monitor also, then it could be an issue with the video cable.

Try replacing the video cable or using a different video cable if you have multiple connections options like DVI, HDMI, etc. If using VGA works, then it could mean there is an issue with your HDMI or DVI cable.

HP Recommended

Tired connecting the laptop to another monitor but no change in status of the laptop.

Power light is steady and SD light flashes consistently.

I tried to troubleshoot the black screen with the linked article but found no solutions

HP Recommended

Try replacing the video cable or using a different video cable and see how's it going. 

HP Recommended

The screen for the laptop is working fine. I was able to reset the CMOS by using windows + V key; the screen displayed the message saying the CMOS checksum is invalid and will be reset to the default configuration but after the restart there is no change to the laptop. 

HP Recommended

When a CMOS Checksum error occurs during system startup, it could mean that the system has been restored to default factory settings. The CMOS contains data related to BIOS and may have been reinitialized, causing this error. The problem could also occur due to the depletion of the CMOS battery.

HP Recommended

I’ve read that some people have had results replacing the CMOS battery on other laptops, but I opened up my laptop and am unable to find it. 
Couldn’t get an accurate google result either. Would you be able to help me locate it? The model is HP Model 14-cf0018ca.

HP Recommended

Today, most computers use a coin cell CMOS battery. Open the computer case and you can easily find the battery on the motherboard. Verify it is accessible and can be removed. 

Here's a good example for your reference of a HP Pavilion 14-v000 Notebook

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c04336128

The CMOS battery could be hidden on the other side of the motherboard, which you might have to do an extensive disassembly.

I strongly advise you to check out a forum thread and the solutions mentioned.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-find-cmos-battery.3352485/

Please keep me updated, thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.