Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to hard reset

Notebook 14t-ac000, ID N2Z33AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My 6-month-old laptop was running poorly, so I backed up my data to an external drive and used the Settings menu to reset the computer to its original state, including deleting all data files.  The reset hung up at 54% for many minutes without change, so I tried a hard reset per the instructions on the HP Support website.  I removed the battery, held down the Power button for 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors, reinstalled the battery, and hit the Power button.

I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner for a few seconds, then the HP logo appears for a few seconds, then the screen goes dark.  This repeats endlessly.  No startup menu ever appears, Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, and repeating the hard reset instructions has no effect.  The startup seems to get caught in a never-ending loop.

I just want to reset the laptop to its original configuration. Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to hard reset

There are other ways you could run Reset/Recovery:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
ThatGuy_1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to hard reset

The link you provided gave me several options, one of which got me back to the reset menu.  The reset is running now and I'll see if it completes and solves the problem.  If it does, I'll indicate on my post. Thanks for the reference.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation