1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Unable to start Laptop

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Power Laptop 15-cb045wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While taking out the battery a screw dropped in the mother board and made a spark. Now the laptop won't start. I took the battery out and connected the power source to see it would start without the battery, and it would not start. Is it fixable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,958 7,271
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AFSG 

In all honesty, even though I have to guess, I would guess NOT.  The spark indicates an electrical short and that could have fried just about any component on the motherboard, making it useless.

What you most likely have now is a paperweight.  HP does not sell new motherboards and anything you find online is going to come from a USED laptop and you have no guarantee that they will work at all.  Plus, you have to tear the whole thing apart to replace the motherboard.

If that is not enough, the HP OEM Windows license is tied to the motherboard, not the owner of the PC.  So if you put a new one in there, Windows will deactivate and you will not be able to reactivate it.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,958 7,271
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AFSG 

In all honesty, even though I have to guess, I would guess NOT.  The spark indicates an electrical short and that could have fried just about any component on the motherboard, making it useless.

What you most likely have now is a paperweight.  HP does not sell new motherboards and anything you find online is going to come from a USED laptop and you have no guarantee that they will work at all.  Plus, you have to tear the whole thing apart to replace the motherboard.

If that is not enough, the HP OEM Windows license is tied to the motherboard, not the owner of the PC.  So if you put a new one in there, Windows will deactivate and you will not be able to reactivate it.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation