Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (207 Views)

Unmountable Boot Volume/Hard Drive Failed Short DST Check

Product Name: HP Pavilion G6R14UA#ABA
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I fired up my laptop and left it downloading an update for Civ 6 via Steam whilst I took a nap.

When I woke up I was confronted with a black screen with no curosr. I tried a few fixes posted online but following the advice from the I.T Crowd I tried turning it off and back on again.

When I turned my laptop back on I recieved a blue "Unmountable Boot Volume" error screen and my laptop went into automatic repair. I had a screen with the HP logo and "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then it went to a black screen with no cursor. I left it on the black screen overnight but when I checked it the next morning it was still on the black screen. I turned the computer off.

My next step was to create Windows 10 USB recovery disk using Rufus. I then turned on my laptop again, deactivated Secureboot and enabled legacy booting. When I saved and exited my laptop didn't reset so I reset it manually using the power button.

When it came back on I selected the USB drive via Boot Options and then chose Windows 10 64 bit. It recieved a screen saying loading files. It then wen to a screen with the HP logo and the spinning loading thing HP has. The next screen was a black screen with no cursor. I left it for an hour just in case but nothing changed so I reset it again via the power button and tried loading all three of the safe modes to see if they worked but each time I recieved the HP loading screen then a black screen with no cursor.

Finally I did a hardware check and the hard drive failed the Short DST Check. The failure ID was PSL0H0-7PJ8A5-MFPWMG-60RX03.

Any advice anyone can give me at this point would be welcome, even if it's just "Sorry dude, you're laptop is dead" or "Take it to a shop". I'm kind of gutted because my laptop's warranty expired in July this year.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (176 Views)

Re: Unmountable Boot Volume/Hard Drive Failed Short DST Check

A dead hard drive is not so dire. 

Replace the hard drive with a legacy SATA3 hard drive or an SSD for more performance.  

As long as the replacement disk is 256 GB or greater capacity, the recovery media will work.

That will allow you to return the notebook to a factory recovered state with Windows installed.

Hard disks and SATA SSD drives are not that expensive anymore. 

If any of my posts help you or guide you on your way to resolve your issue, you can click on the purple Thumbs up + icon to say thanks.

If your problem is solved , please click the Accepted Solution button

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (173 Views)

I've never really opened up a laptop and poked around inside before, are we looking at a unplug one and plug in another job or is it a lot more fiddly than that? I only ask as I've got the hand eye co-ordination of a clumsy stampeding bull.
Provost
Message 4 of 5 (170 Views)

[ Edited ]

I will see if I can find an HP video which shows exactly how to do it. You can decide if you are up to it. A shop won't charge an inordinate amount to do the job for you.

Give me a few moments while I identify your notebook and look at the repair video library.

Watch the hard disk assembly video 

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=6936226&MEID=9716D07A-B0B5-4279-8829-B9171EA79EC2

If any of my posts help you or guide you on your way to resolve your issue, you can click on the purple Thumbs up + icon to say thanks.

If your problem is solved , please click the Accepted Solution button

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (159 Views)

You're the best!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation