Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy cg100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm no nube but this one confounds me.

I need a 2TB drive which HP doesn't offer, so I bought a Sabrient Rocket NVMe 4.0 2TB M.2 SSD.

I removed the 1TB Intel Optane M.2 SSD and replaced it with the Sabrient.
The BIOS sees the drive perfectly. Unfortunately, when trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10, setup fails to see the drive. DISKPART does not see it either.

I have disabled boot security in the BIOS... no joy.
Im thinking that there is a driver needed for Windows setup to see the drive... however it is nowhere to be found.

I've called HP FIVE TIMES. I go through the rigamarole of giving them my serial number, phone number, etc., explain the problem... and they always say "Ok we're going to help you with this" and then the phone hangs up... no call back. Shame on you HP!!

Any ideas beyond what I've already thought of?

Jeff Miller

Chehalis, WA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution. It's buried in HP support but here it is:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06983517

Essentially my gut was correct - it's a driver issue. HP notebooks with 11th Gen processors require an intel RST driver however, as I learned the instructions above are incomplete. It says to navigate to the F6 folder but you will see two subfolders there; one is x64 (the logical one, but the wrong one) and VMD (the one with the drivers you need. I used the 9AB driver). Once these drivers are loaded...voila! you will see your drive(s).

Be sure that your BIOS boot order is set to boot from the SSD and not the USB once the initial setup is done (if it reboots into setup, you may have to start over...)

...and it only took 6 phone calls to HP Support (absolutely no help there) and HP's support guru didn't know either. I can't blame them much I guess this is a BRAND NEW system (as of 12/2020). I hope this helps someone else. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@c3ajeff1 

The question is Did you disable Optane before removing it properly ? Please put it back and disable it the right way

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No, that did not solve my issue.

Below was my procedure:
I reinstalled the original SSD and booted. I used the Intel Optane utility that came with the laptop to disable Optane. The laptop rebooted successfully. I shut down the laptop. I re-installed the new M.2 SSD. 

I went into the BIOS and there does not appear to be any options for optane/non-optane. I turned secure boot and TPM off. BIOS 'sees' my new M.2 SSD (I even tried a regular 2.5" SSD which the BIOS also sees correctly [Configuration|UEFI HII Configuration|Intel Rapid Storage Technology|list under Non-RAID Physical Disks) but when I try to install windows it loads setup but does not see the drive(s).  I then brought up a command line (Shift F10) and ran diskpart. List Disk returned only the USB drive I booted from.

I also tried to load Intel drivers from the "load driver" option in Windows Setup. I couldn't find any that would load.

Nothing seems to work except the original drive. This is unacceptable.

Jeff Miller

HP Recommended

I found the solution. It's buried in HP support but here it is:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06983517

Essentially my gut was correct - it's a driver issue. HP notebooks with 11th Gen processors require an intel RST driver however, as I learned the instructions above are incomplete. It says to navigate to the F6 folder but you will see two subfolders there; one is x64 (the logical one, but the wrong one) and VMD (the one with the drivers you need. I used the 9AB driver). Once these drivers are loaded...voila! you will see your drive(s).

Be sure that your BIOS boot order is set to boot from the SSD and not the USB once the initial setup is done (if it reboots into setup, you may have to start over...)

...and it only took 6 phone calls to HP Support (absolutely no help there) and HP's support guru didn't know either. I can't blame them much I guess this is a BRAND NEW system (as of 12/2020). I hope this helps someone else. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.