Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY notebook P4B20AAR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong board but it's a weird issue.

Some time ago my laptop fan started having some problems, the laptop would overheat and I'd occasionally get the 90B error message. The thing is, some times it would work as usual, while at other times it'd just not spin AT ALL and overheat really quickly just by running chrome.

Then, it really just stopped altogether and the laptop was basically unusable. Always getting the 90B error message.

Reading some info online, some people said updating my BIOS could help, so I headed over to HP's website and downloaded the update and voilà! the fans started spinning like normal after the update. The laptop was cooling fine and everything seemed great. Until I turned it on the next day and it had gone back to having issues.

So basically now I have to reupdate the BIOS every time I boot the laptop, or else it will overheat as it's basically doing right now as I type this on chrome.

Any suggestions?  Ideas? Is it just my BIOS reverting back to the older version? I'm honestly at a loss for what to do here...

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JV21 Let's perform a power reset as per HP standards:

• Ensure your laptop is OFF.
  • Unplug all the external devices (If any).
  • Disconnect the power charger from the computer, and remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • Connect the power supply (power adapter).
  • Press the power button to turn on your laptop.
  • Then put your battery back.
  • for more details: Click here

Once done, I suggest you attempt the BIOS update again, and check if it works after a restart,

If that doesn't help, click here to troubleshoot further.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher, thank you very much for your help and your time.

I've tried the steps you mentioned but sadly, it didn't work. I had tried the other steps in the troubleshoot page you linked with no results as well.

I also tried resetting windows, with no success. 

So it must really be a hardware problem, I  guess. I've decided to bite the bullet and order a fan online. I will post to this thread if this doesn't fix the issue!

Once again, thank you so much for your time and help. Have a good day.

HP Recommended

@JV21 Fair enough, please take your time and get back to us with an update,

It's a been a pleasure interacting with you!

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.