Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenWillTry
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid it comes up with a black screen

I have a COMPAQ CQ60-615DX that came with WIN7 but has been running WIN10 since the original release.  When I close the lid it goes to sleep, and when I open the lid it tries to come back up.  I seen the POST screen, but then after a bit it goes black.  I discovered that if I plug in an external monitor, the data is there, and I can reset it to appear on the primary monitor.  I think the problem may have begun with WIN10 version 1809, and it continues with v.1903.   I had hoped to find an upgraded graphics driver or upgraded BIOS opportunity but the HP Support Assistant tells me everything is up to date.  The problem is the same if I set the lid closing activate Hibernate mode.  (I can survive by setting the lid closure to Shutdown, but then it takes a while to reboot.)  -  Thanks for your help, from Ken, someplace in Ohio.

2 REPLIES 2
KenWillTry
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid it comes up with a black screen

More details from Ken...This CQ60-6i5DX has the Intel Celeron 900 CPU, BIOS=Insyde H20 Setup Utility, Rev 3.5, Version F.60    ...  Control Panel > Device Manage > Display Adapter shows "Mobile Intel Series Express Chipset Family" Microsoft WDDM 1.1 has driver ver 8.15.10.2702 released 3/11/2013 (computer was built in 2010, so this has been upgraded).    I have worked with Control Panel > Windows Mobility Center to select "Connect Display" and it functions much like using the Func F4 key to allow selecting external screen via a black dialogue box on the right hand portion of the screen, but screen selection settings seem to be confused after SLEEP mode is used via lid closure.  [Sleep mode via Func F5 (the moon symbol) is fine.]

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,828 10,800 465 523
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KenWillTry
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Step 1: Change the Windows Update Services setting

Change the Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.

1. In Windows, search for and open the Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel search field, type services, and then select Administrative Tools from the list.

Selecting Administrative Tools

3. Double-click Services, and then double-click Windows Update to view the properties.

4. Click Stop to stop the service from running.

5. From the Startup Type drop-down menu, and select Manual, then click OK.

Selecting Manual on the Startup type drop-down menu in Windows Update Properties

Step 2: Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) driver

To prepare to run the troubleshooter, make sure you have the correct version of the MEI driver installed.

1. Go to HP Drivers & Downloads.

2. Type the computer model number in the Enter your HP product name, product number or serial number box, for example, HP ProBook 645, and then click Find.

If a list of model numbers displays, select your model number from the list.

3. On the Software and driver results page, select Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the Version drop-down menu, and then click Change.

4. Download the MEI driver version 9 or 10 from the Driver-Chipset section.

If an MEI driver version 9 or 10 is not listed, download and install the appropriate driver from Intel (in English).

NOTE: Version 9.5.24.1790 1.5M works for most models.
  5. Install the MEI driver. If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.

NOTE: You do not need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10. An existing version of the driver must be installed in order to install version 9 or 10.

Step 3: Run the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates troubleshooter package

Download and run the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates troubleshooter package.

1. Download the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates (in English) troubleshooter package.

2. Run the troubleshooter package, and hide updates to the MEI driver.

Doing this blocks your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the MEI driver.

Step 4: Reset the Update Services setting

Use the previous steps to change Windows Update Services setting from Manual to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Step 5: Restart your computer. Restart your computer to complete the process.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click
“Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation