Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy DS1
Linux

Can someone confirm HP no longer support sleep states in their laptops the same way as previous products? In particular S2.

From my own research, as I understand it Microsoft Windows no longer supports sleep state 2 (S2), which HP has followed suit and abandoned their customers. The new state basically leaves the computer in an active sleep state which drains the battery almost as fast as leaving the laptop powered 'on' and is about as useless **bleep** on a bull for point of putting a laptop to 'sleep'.  Again, as I understand it this was designed for a super fast startup which most of us would call "leave the **bleep** laptop on", you'll be right back. 

*With RAM so cheap and prodigious amounts come pre-installed why anyone would eliminate sleep state 2 is beyond my comprehension.   Likewise, SSDs are common too.

*Sleep state 2 (S2) is where the computer puts everything in RAM and uses the absolute minimal power and can literally sit there for days. Pretty much what every customer wants in a sleep state.

If HP is producing laptops that only work properly with Windows OS, then after 20 years and untold dollars of purchasing their laptops, I will no longer be able to remain a customer.  It would appear they didn't have the decency to tell us before they sold us a Windows only computer.

If someone at HP has a solution, please let me know, otherwise you can tell you chain of command they have screwed the pooch with this stupidity and better fix it asap before the word gets out and they lose a lot of sales.  Just to be clear there are a lot more Linux users than HP may think, there are **bleep** piles of dual-booters from IT students to IT workers where a laptop that does not have a true sleep state will be a deal breaker.

And no I'm not pissed, this is what I sound like all the time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.