cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
EddieYar
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Why is my laptop plugged in but not charging?

HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0056wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is plugged in but not charging and I'm not sure why. It stops at a certain point. It never reaches 100% fully charged. The most it got to was 83%. Right now it is at only 67% but it's plugged in but doesn't want to charge beyond that. No it doesn't immediately turn off when I unplug the charger it still drains as I tried draining it to 0 and recharging it and I thought it worked but it didn't it stopped at around 66%. It doesn't want to keep charging it. I try unplugging the charger and replugging it in and it seems to work only for about a minute. It starts to charge then stops. Is it the battery? Is it the charger? Or is it just where the charger plugs into inside the laptop that's not functioning correctly? 

05ffb84cffeddf485e66d8ecc0f4c541.png

1 REPLY 1
Tech9Next
Level 3
54 54 3 9
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there, please try the following troubleshooting steps- 

1. Please perform a hard reset on your HP notebook. Disconnect the power cord and remove the battery (if removable). Now
press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Afterwards reconnect the battery and the power supply. And Now try to
power it back on.

2. Update the latest BIOS for your notebook from HP Software and Drivers Download page

3. Now try and perform battery calibration - fully charge the notebook to 100% and then use the notebook on battery alone to discharge the battery. Again fully charge and discharge the battery. Perform this step 2-3 times over a week's time.

4. Also consider running a battery test from HP System Diagnostics screen F2. Upon powering on the pc, tap on the F2 key repeatedly, until you land on the System/Hardware Diagnostics page. Select Battery and run th

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation