Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've attempted to upgrade an HP Pavillion 15 notebook from Win8.1 to Win10. The process was left running overnight, and on checking this the following morning the pc won't boot past the blue HP logo. The PC halts the boot after the light indicator on the F12 key for wireless changes from orange to blue. Not sure if this is related?

I've been into the HP recovery utility (F11) on boot and tried to repair, but this has failed. And there isn't an option to recover to original factory image of Win8.1 as the installed image is showing as Win10. I haven't tried recovering to Windows 10 yet, as didn't think this would help.

The PC is a friends and he doesn't think he's got recovery media. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Happy to revert to Windows8.1 and forget the idea of going to Win10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oggers3007 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Erico. 

The product number is F2U56EA#ABU

Is this recovery media not available to download, so that I can burn to DVD or USB? 

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, it is not available for download.

Who you purchae it from depends on where in the world you live.

In the US, there is

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

In the UK and Europe, there is

http://www.best2serve.com

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If he doesn't think he has the recovery media, that means he did'nt create it as he should have.

The opportunity to created all the way up to the point of starting the upgrade to Windows 10.

The Windows 10 installer wiped the hard disk, which contained the Windows 8.1 syetm partition and the recovery partition.

The simplest option would be to buy the usb recovery media from HP.

What is the complete product number?  It should be on the rear of the notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Is this recovery media not available to download, so that I can burn to DVD or USB? 

HP Recommended

@oggers3007 wrote:

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, it is not available for download.

Who you purchae it from depends on where in the world you live.

In the US, there is

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

In the UK and Europe, there is

http://www.best2serve.com

HP Recommended

THanks Erico, 

I'd found that information through my own research. Nice for somebody to confirm though.

Frustrating that the error's going to cost £35. 

Is there any chance that a fix could be available direct from Microsoft? ie installation media.

HP Recommended

@oggers3007 wrote:

THanks Erico, 

I'd found that information through my own research. Nice for somebody to confirm though.

Frustrating that the error's going to cost £35. 

Is there any chance that a fix could be available direct from Microsoft? ie installation media.

If the Windows 10 upgrade had been successful, the OS license would have already beeen on the Microsoft licensing servers. That would have made it simple. Unfortunately there is no fix available directly via Microsoft.

By the way, Kudos are appreciated.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.