Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 17 Y018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm currently wokring as an IT intern at my local library for the summer. Patrons sign up for 1-on-1 tech support; mainly for library applications or queries, but sometimes they'll bring other computer issues to us.

Recently a patron came in with her HP Y018ca Notebook (I believe this is the correct model), which she had purchased around the start of May in this year.  Upon inspection, the patron had no 'accessible/viewable desktop screen' that I could see -- However her background desktop image was displayed as per normal.

**The Patron stated that this issue had been present since her inital purchase.

• The windows task bar screen with the "frequently used" and "suggested apps" was the home screen that the Notebook was defaulted to.  
  • Any open window will only prompt you to close it (x) (No option to  Minimize or adjust window size).
  • The Win+Tab hot key would not prompt the Desktop 1/2 or the Add Desktop options.
  • The desktop 'quick-jump' (Bottom right hand corner) was not shown.

The Notebook had Touchscreen capabilities, so I checked to see if this was a 'Tablet mode" issue  but had no luck with said idea. A look through control pannel and display/personalization had no resolvement either. I have reached out to friends and co-workers to see if anyone has an idea as to what a solution might be, yet so far everyone has been as baffled as I am. 

I am hoping that the information provided is enough to get some possible suggestions and/or answers to this issue at hand. I meet with the patron again in Two-days time and will be able to gather more information at that session be it so required.

Any help is appreciated and if there's any other information that you might require, I will try to seek that information if it means a possible solution.

Thanks,

-KJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Pixi_Dust,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding the computer having some issues with the desktop screen and other screens. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Is the computer working correctly without freezing shutting down or overheating?
  • Did you run system diagnostics on the computer to check that there are no hardware issues?
  • Please let me know the complete product# or model# of the computer to assist you better as I am not able to pull it up from our records.
  • Please share an image or a screenshot of the exact screen.

• For now please run extensive hardware diagnostics from this link: http://hp.care/2sZtJzF it takes two hours to run to ensure that the hardware is fully functional.
  • If it passes please perform a Microsoft push button reset from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj  to reset the computer without causing data loss.
  • If the customer is okay with data loss please backup critical data and perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from here http://hp.care/2s4ZrIh  and this will definitely do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Pixi_Dust,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding the computer having some issues with the desktop screen and other screens. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Is the computer working correctly without freezing shutting down or overheating?
  • Did you run system diagnostics on the computer to check that there are no hardware issues?
  • Please let me know the complete product# or model# of the computer to assist you better as I am not able to pull it up from our records.
  • Please share an image or a screenshot of the exact screen.

• For now please run extensive hardware diagnostics from this link: http://hp.care/2sZtJzF it takes two hours to run to ensure that the hardware is fully functional.
  • If it passes please perform a Microsoft push button reset from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj  to reset the computer without causing data loss.
  • If the customer is okay with data loss please backup critical data and perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from here http://hp.care/2s4ZrIh  and this will definitely do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Pixi_Dust,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.