Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion DV8000 running Windows XP and all was working fine until recently when attempting to boot results in repeated boot sounds (like the hard drive making a physical sound over and over again, almost like the DVD drive making a sound, that I usually heard and bootup, but it makes it over and over again).  The result is the screen doesn't display anything (no HP logo, no Windows logo, nothing) and the keyboard is locked, i.e. capslock won't turn on, nor can I even power off the machine, just have to unplug and let the battery run out).  I'm at a little bit of a loss for where to begin and appreciate any help.

My first priority is to get the data off of the hard drives, if indeed it's done and second priority would be to get it back up and running.

Thank you for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not just possible....that is what they are. Sometime in the run of dv8000 models it switched from IDE/PATA to SATA but yours was obviously early in the run. 

So the adapter you need to get is PATA to USB. 

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

This one from amazon.com is useable for any kind of hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Stop trying to boot it. Remove the hard drive from the compartment under the access plate on the bottom. Your dv8000 may have dual hard drives. Get a usb to SATA adapter and see if the hard drive is recognized by another computer and you can scavenge your files off it. Post back and let us know if that works and we can move on to Step 2. If you did have a second hard drive that can be moved into the primary position and used for a system (boot) drive. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have opened the hard drive enclosure and found 2 hard drives (as anticipated, 1 OS and 1 for storage).  My question is the connection on these hard drives appears as a 44-pin group with a small space, then a 4-pin grouping.  Is it possible these are IDE hard drives vs. SATA?

If so, any advice on what type of converter/adapter to purchase?  I have a SATA to USB external hard drive enclosure, but this appears to be an IDE connection.

HP Recommended

Not just possible....that is what they are. Sometime in the run of dv8000 models it switched from IDE/PATA to SATA but yours was obviously early in the run. 

So the adapter you need to get is PATA to USB. 

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

This one from amazon.com is useable for any kind of hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Yes, thank you!  I would be happy to select the accept as solution button as it did answer my immediate question here.  Does this mean I can no longer work with you on the main question that brought me here, i.e. once I get the cable can I retrieve the data or no and then can I try to get the system back up and running?

HP Recommended

I will keep working with you as long as you want whether or not you hit "Accept as Solution".

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had to order the cable and now have it. I was able to rescue the files, thank you!

What is next to get the computer back up and running?

HP Recommended

You need to swap the working hard drive into the main hard drive bay. Have you done that? Do you have restore disks? They used to ship them with the laptop in the XP days so maybe you have one. Would you like to install something other than XP? The laptop will run Windows 7. I do not recommend Vista or Windows 10 for that machine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.