Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
So my computer won't boot into Windows citing the error above. Windows says there has been an unexpected i/o error. I can't run safe mode either.

I downloaded Easy recovery essentials and it hangs when trying to rebuild the MBR.

Ive been reading a lot online about a virus rewriting part of the MBR or changing the BIOS drive from SATA to something else (something along these lines sorry I'm not a technical expert). The virus theory makes sense as my anti virus did pop up that it blocked an attack the night before this happened.

I've tried a lot to get to the bottom of this and the simplest solution that appears to work for a lot of people appears to be changing the SATA setting around but it looks like that isn't possible on this model?

I'm open to any advice received.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.

Before I got round to trying it I attempted a different solution which worked perfectly.

As suspected something had gone wrong with the Windows bootloader so I completely removed it and rebuilt through command prompt.  Everything is running just as it used to.

I am putting this message here in case anyone should recognise similar symptoms and it might give them an idea of how to fix theirs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Chrisc84,

Welcome to HP Forums, great place to find answers and tips. 

I understand that the computer is not booting and kudos to you for trying the Recovery essentials. I will be happy  to help. 

Recommend you to run diagnostics by tapping F2 on startup. Refer http://hp.care/2cVsiaU

If the hard drive and memory test pass, restart the PC and keep tapping F11 on startup. It should take to the HP Recovery manager. 

You can try to repair the computer using it, refer http://hp.care/2bNw5Hd

If the test fails, you will need to replace the appropriate component. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.

Before I got round to trying it I attempted a different solution which worked perfectly.

As suspected something had gone wrong with the Windows bootloader so I completely removed it and rebuilt through command prompt.  Everything is running just as it used to.

I am putting this message here in case anyone should recognise similar symptoms and it might give them an idea of how to fix theirs.

HP Recommended

Hi @Chrisc84,

Thanks for the reply. Glad that your PC is booting fine now. 

Please do reply if you need any help. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.