Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is an "accepted solution" to the problem that Windows hello cannot find a compatible camera. but I cannot accept it.

One idea involves using the camera shutter key. But my Spectre does not have a camera shutter key!

Another idea involves re-installing the HP IR camera software, bit it is not listed among the downloads on the HP site.

Another approach is to remove the face recognition sign-in option. But the face recognition option is so dead that it is not listening: the "remove" button is greyed out. It just sits there and complains that it cannot find a camera.

I am a little concerned that this should suddenly stop working after about a year, and that neither HP nor Microsoft seem to have the slighted idea whose software update caused the problem.  We end up asking other users what the solution is. 

Ron
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@RonMcLaren 

What is your Spectre x360 ? Does it have IR/3D camera ? Not all HP Spectre machines do have IR/3D camera. W/o IR/3D camera Windows Hello Facial Recognition won't work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear Banhein, Thanks for replying.

The Laptop is HP Spectre x360 - 15-df1014na

As I mentioned in my post, the camera stopped working after about a year.  I had not changed the  camera or anything else, so this remains unexplained and unresolved. I cannot even persuade Windows Hello to forget about the camera and go straight for the pin. Instead it has to complain that "something has gone wrong" before asking for the pin.

(It reminds me of the first error message I saw on a mainframe back in 1967 - 0219A. It meant "something has gone wrong". Progress!)

Regards, Ron

Ron
HP Recommended

@RonMcLaren 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06519133

It does have  HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone that means it supports Hello Facial Recognition to login. Please use the following Guide

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05873680

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying again, Banhien. I did know that an IR camera is part of the configuration - it has always been clearly  visible in Device Manager. 

I believe that one of the beefs I mentioned was that when I looked at the HP Spectre downloads page I did not see anything whose name suggested it  was a driver for the IR camera. Therefore, seeing that I had no apparent escape route, I did not uninstall and delete the  existing driver software. I would need to see it and download it before deleting the old one.

Maybe it has an obscure name?

I've been using Windows PCs since beore Windows was invented. Do you think I qualify for a Purple heart or equivalent?

🙂

Ron

Ron
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.