Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw0085nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Pavilion 15-cw0085nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Product name: HP pavilion notebook PC.
Model: 15-cw0085nr
Error messages: None.
Recent changes: None, except automatic updates from Microsoft.
Issue/problem: Laptop sounds like it is power cycling and never boots to a screen.

What I have done so far: I've tried the hard reset troubleshooting. I have a sealed battery and memory so I am unable to deal with those. Unable to see bios screen to perform any updates.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@gee_emmm 

SIGH -- once again I feel compelled to tell folks that BIOS updates are not miracle cures!  This could be a drive issue, or it could be a Windows Update issue -- but it's not BIOS, so forcing a BIOS update will do NOTHING to fix this.

If it was a Windows Update issue, then most likely, you would get some error message on the screen about try do do a restore or recovery.  Since you are not getting that, then this is likely a drive issue. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until you have the replacement drive in hand.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.