Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer will not sleep or shut down. I select sleep from the Start>Power menu. Once done the screen goes black and the light on the power button on the side of the laptop goes out. After a brief pause the light comes back on and the HP symbol appears on my screen. My computer starts up as if I had just turned it on i.e. no programs or apps are open from prior to selecting sleep. The same story is true for when I select “shut down”. I have tried setting my power settings back to default. I have also had an HP technician remote into my computer and they thought the solution was the latest Windows update(from October) which I did not have installed. After that update nothing changed. I just decided to reset my computer and reinstall Windows from scratch(but keeping my files). This has also yielded no result with the issue. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sometimes a graphics driver can cause that. Have you checked your Support page to see if you have latest driver? Latest BIOS?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi Cheryl, I neglected to mention that the HP technician that remoted into my computer did update my NVIDIA graphics card driver and I do have the latest BIOS at present. I tried the command powercfg /energy, something about my ACPI being disabled because it’s not compatible with the hardware on my computer could be an issue? Also ran powercfg /a and some of my Standbys are disabled: S1, S2 and S0 Low Power Idle if that helps. I’ve done some searches and this seems like a pretty common issue but I haven’t come across a tangible solutions yet.

HP Recommended

I would try turning off Fast Starup to see if it has any effect on the problem. After I click "Choose what power does" and get to next screen I also have to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" for it to be changed.

https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I have that currently disabled and still the same. I’m beginning to believe there is no quick fix for this. Maybe the new release in April will address this issue. Happy to try any other suggestions though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.