cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kconibear
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Won’t start after Windows 10 update-tried new battery, started once then tried updating and same

HP Recommended
Spectre 360

I used my Spectre 360 normally-and I don’t use it a lot-then when I went to shut down it wanted to update and shutdown so I said ok.  Two days later when I tried to start as normal it would not start or even make a sound or have a light flash.  Tried charging and no light came on.  Tried multiple outlets and checked charger-all ok.  Left it charging a few hours-never any hint of life after this.  Bought new battery and switched it.   As soon as I plugged in the new battery lights flashed.  Plugged it in and I charged an hour or 2 and then I turned it on.  Used computer normally-just updated and checked security and windows updates.  Said one needed to download and install-so I did it.  It finished and shut off.  Next day-back to square one.  No power from brand new battery.  Will not charge.  No light, no sound, will not turn on.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,740 32,640 2,972 7,293
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kconibear 

From your description, sounds like the PC is trashing the battery.  Some models won't boot if the battery is dead even with a charger connected.  Yours behaved like this.  Then when you inserted a new battery, it worked -- for a while.  But then later, the new battery now appears to be dead.

Is this PC still under the original HP one year warranty?  If so, you may be able to get it fixed or replaced.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
kconibear
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you @WAWood for the advice.  I appreciate your time.  To answer the question....My entire inside of the computer was replaced under warranty already last year.  I mean motherboard and battery for sure.  Multiple problems.  It just died one day and wouldn’t start randomly.  Never tried the battery then.  Took to to Best Buy Geek Squad under warranty and it was sent to HP.  For 2 months of the 1 year warranty period I didn’t have my computer because it was sent to HP and returned to Geek Squad and when I went to pick it up it didn’t work even though it was supposed to be fixed and it wasn’t even put back together correctly and it was bulging and coming apart-so it was sent off again and I got it back with basically no warranty left.  It worked though without a hint of problem until this sudden issue last week.  So now, no warranty.  But when I took the back off and changed the battery I could see broken parts and missing pieces-including screws to hold in the battery.   I also saw someone seemed to have marked with a black Sharpie on one of the USB-c ports....don’t know if that meant it had a problem or why it would be marked...lots of paper tags and spare parts stickers in there too.  Needless to say I’m not convinced whoever did the warranty work either time was very meticulous being the Best Buy tech wasn’t happy with the work and showed me all the problems...other than it still not starting...and with the condition I found it to be.  Not hugely surprised to have another problem so soon, just disappointed. I use this computer 0-2 times a week for 1-2 hours at a time.  So it’s pretty much the least used computer I’ve had in 20 years and also the shortest life and only warranty I’ve ever had to use.  If it costs more than $200 to fix it forget it.  I’ll get my files off and get something better.  Do you know if there is some kind of external charger for the battery?  I would just deal with that-the batteries last about 7 hours it’s easy enough to swap full batteries.  

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,740 32,640 2,972 7,293
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kconibear 

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any external charger for laptop batteries.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation