Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc050wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, in Support Downloads BIOS for my system it has F.19 as the highest BIOS as of January 2020.

However, when I look in BIOS in my system, as well as the HP Support Assistant, they both say the BIOS Version is "F.27", but there is no F.27 version of BIOS as indicated in Support for my laptop.

Also, when I try to update F.19 the updater is Greyed Out and says "This BIOS update is not compatible with this device".

I haven't tried to do a "manual" update of the BIOS yet, since I'm afraid I'll end up bricking my system or something.

(can I update a different version of bios when a higher version shows?)

BTW, in BIOS and the Support Assistant they both only show the "generic" version # of my HP the 15-cc0xx, not the actual version.  Though, my Serial# is 5CD7220F72 and that serial get's me to my Laptop Support section which shows the different BIOS.

Help....  Thanks

P.S.  I found a previous post I made in the forum in which I was having problems with the "Accelerometer" program, and I had actually installed "F.13" and "F.14" version of the bios.  And I mentioned in that post when I came back to look at the BIOS Downloads again, F.14 was actually gone.  So, I'm thinking it was actually removed because the "internal" bios files were for another system, and I ended up installing the wrong BIOS.  Cause, I WAS able to install those bios before.

So, I guess my question is, can I do a "manual" install of BIOS to overwrite the incorrect BIOS that is in my system?

Oh, and I still have the bios I had downloaded, the last one I installed the F.14 version (before it was removed from downloads at that time).  Is anyone able to look at them to see if they are the same bios?  Oh wait, I can do a "Hash compare".... hold on.

UPDATE:  Okay, I've verified they are the EXACT same files.

So apparently version F.14 actually installed a F.27 version for me, and I can no longer install the latest BIOS in the F.14 line, which is now F.19.  (at least with the BIOS windows setup)

Okay, just further tested, and apparently the problem is the latest version of Windows 10, the BIOS installer won't recognize my HP system as being the proper system, even the "old" BIOS installer, the Update option shows as greyed out.  Going to try and see if I can run the extracted installer as Administrator, not the extractor of the setup files.

Nope, that didn't work either...

So, I'm guessing the BIOS installer needs to be updated for the latest security measures with Windows 10 (or it's seeing the version # of the current installed bios as "higher" than the one I'm trying to install)?

And I don't know if the F.27 are the right bios that was simply named the wrong version within the actual bios files (it's correct in the installer) or if the F.27 is in fact the wrong bios for the system.  Cause, the bios files from 2 whatever years ago are exactly the same as the current F.14 bios files.

So, still need help...  How do I update?  Is it safe for me to do a manual one with USB?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @leeuniverse

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the BIOS update. 

Download and install the latest BIOS update (F.19 Rev.A) from this link

You may also refer to this document - HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Also, try updating the computer using these steps -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Seriously?  You didn't even read what I wrote...

My BIOS and Support Assistant say I have version "F.27" installed.

However, like you saw F.19 Rev A is the last update of the Bios.

And the last I updated the BIOS was version F.14.

Unless Windows update gave me the wrong bios or something, thus I didn't know my bios got updated, either way, there's a problem here.

So, since in my Windows 10 your Bios Update program won't work anymore, saying the update is incompatible, or it's because the version # that it's saying that, I need to know if I install the Update MANUALLY that I first can do so, and If problems will occur?

HP Recommended

@leeuniverse

I understand your concerns.

Before I proceed with the details, I need to know why you wish to update the BIOS, because most BIOS updates are only installed to resolve a certain issue, if you don't have any issues, you don't really have to install it.

That said, there's a slight possibility that the HP Support Assistant has upgraded the BIOS to the version currently showing on the screen, while the same hasn't been released on the HP website, yet.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

1. Well, just cause I don't see an issue doesn't mean there aren't or won't be, which is why BIOS updates are created.

2. I actually have had issues, with USB devices connected, the OS wouldn't load etc.  I can't even remember now the exact problems, I haven't used this laptop for a year and a half now.

3. The HP Support Assistant didn't actually update anything until I updated it, and the only programs it updated were other HP programs no drivers etc. since I had ran Windows Update fully updating the system.

Since you've stated that apparently Windows Update is able to update a systems BIOS, maybe that's what happened?

Maybe Windows Update put the wrong bios into my system?

4. No, not likely...  The last BIOS update shows as F.19 Rev A, and it was January this year.  It's not going to jump from F.19 to F.27 in one month when it took a year and a half to go from F.14 to F.19.

So, either one of two things happened:

- Either Windows update gave me the wrong BIOS.

- Or the F.14 update I did a year and a half ago and still has the same files in the current F.14 update shows the wrong version number or something.  But, I don't think so, because I would have noticed the version #'s being wrong when I updated to F.14 a year and a half ago.  So, Windows Update must have clearly put the wrong BIOS into my system.  (Clearly something you all need to tell the powers that be to fix.)

So, now my question is, am I able to put the proper BIOS (F.19) in my system overwriting the F.27?

I've tried the BIO Update Utility, running it in windows (which worked before), but it won't work, saying there's an incompatibility or something.

So, can I update the BIOS by USB then on Restart?  I won't brick my system or anything will I overwriting a wrong bios in my system?  Can I even overwrite a wrong bios, especially when it shows a higher # and I'm installing a lower #?

HP Recommended

@leeuniverse

I did some research and found out that BIOS can be updated using the Windows Updates too. You got the latest BIOS update but the same is not updated on the drivers page. However, it will get updated soon. 

Reverting to a previous version of BIOS is not possible when there are security updates in the latest version of the BIOS.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay, that's clear then that's what happened as I suspected, however, there's no way the BIOS Updated from v F.19 to F.27 within one month or whatever when it took a year and a half to go from F.14 to F.19.

I mean, especially for an "old" Laptop, there's no way you guys are doing that kind of regular update.  Sure, maybe that's possible on a new one, but an old computer, no way you're updating the BIOS that much that fast.

So, there HAS to be something wrong here...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.