alexojeda Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep - HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR)

HP Notebook - 15-af131dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Battery only charges if the laptop is plugged int to power but off, when turned on, it never indicates that the battery is being charged. Runs only on battery power even when the AC adapter is plugged in.

I am having the issue posted here before :
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/battery-only-charges-when-compu...

So far I have not been able to find a solution. Windows 10, version 1607

Heres what I have tried so far:

Recovery using HP tool for recovering windows (HD wipe, erased all settings)
As other suggested on that thread, let battery run out and turn laptop back on (did not work)
Another HP suggestion was to upgrade the BIOS, I did that too and that did not work
Took the Laptop to the Bestbuy it was purchased at to test a different power supply, that did not work either

Here is a curious thing, if I boot up the laptop with the battery on, and once booted, I can remove the battery, the laptop stays on, but it indicates that the battery is missing, however it does stay on.
If I try to turn on the Laptop w/o the battery in place (but AC plugged in) it will not come on.

I also tried the suggested compnents diagnostics (ESC at the time of boot up, and then F2 to enter diagnostics), the battery passes the test, but the AC adapter is never regognized or fails (as long as the batter is on), however, a different adapter was tested, so it is not the adapter.

Here's another thing someone else suggested, to try booting up to a USB OS, tried that too with Ubuntu Live w/o installing any software on the Laptop, just running it from USB, and the battery still shows not being charged.

I am at a loss right now and I would like to know what the solution for this would be as there are a few other try-and-see suggestions by others that did not work either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19015 18973 1240 1990
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep - HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR)

Hi @alexojeda,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with the battery charges only when the computer is either off or in sleep mode. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

This definitely looks to be a hardware failure with the PC. Before you could contact our HP phone support. I would suggest you try these steps here:

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery

Re-install the battery drivers

If you have followed these steps and still have an issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
alexojeda Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The battery test has already been performed and the battery passed.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19015 18973 1240 1990
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @alexojeda,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried testing the battery and it seems to have passed without any errors, I would suggest you try with an alternate compatible AC adapter and check if it works, If nothing works, I would suggest this could be a hardware failure with the Motherboard. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please follow the previous link to contact them.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation