Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios error- black screen

HP Pavilion - 15-cc152od
Unknown

My computer won't start and has just a black screen with the caps light error blinking 2 lon and 2 short.  I believer this means it is a bios error.  I tried doing a hard reset and also resetting by holding the windows and b keys with the power button as instructed on the support site.  That didn't work, so it looks like I should be creating a USB bios recovery drive.  This computer had the hard drive replaced under warranty by mailing it inot HP last year and was working fine since.  I didn't know if that would alter what Bios to load. I didn't want to screen up and use the wrong one, so I called support and they also tell me that if I do a bios recovery, I'll also need to reinstall windows.. is that true?  That came installed on the computer and I don't have the code or disk to reinstall it.  

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,337 13,994
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios error- black screen

Having the hard drive changed does not effect which BIOS you use for the recovery usb. The motherboard is what determines which BIOS file to use. Your BIOS file is on your Support page..

BIOS recovery has nothing to do with the OS and should not require a new install of Windows. Even if it did, you have several available options. On your Support page you can order Recovery Media or use the free HP Cloud Recovery to make  Recovery Media. Your license key is embedded in BIOS so you could use the free Media Creation Tool at Microsoft to create a bootable Windows usb or dvd to reinstall.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cc100-laptop-pc/16842299/model/18567...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation