Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c0000 (320M3AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello everyone, My memory banks are a little fuzzy on the following so I would appreciate help. I have downloaded a Bios update to install but would like to copy or backup the current bios before doing so. I thought there was a way to copy the present bios to a USB drive to preserve it incase the new bios failed to install properly. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kingpet,

HP laptops store the current bios on the efi partition on the boot drive, but the efi partition is a hidden partition, meaning that it doesn't have a letter. So, you need to run command prompt as an administrator and use either diskpart or mountvol command to assign a letter to the efi, then go to the \EFI\HP\BIOS\current folder. There, you should see current bios files (.bin file and .s12 file). You can use copy command to copy the files to a location of your choice, such as a usb flash drive.

This is only possible if your laptop still runs on the preloaded Windows on the factory installed drive. If you replaced it with a third-party drive, this method doesn't work, unless you installed HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to the new drive.

Please let me know how it turns. If you are not familiar with a command prompt operation, let me know and I'll provide you step by step procedures. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.